Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Odd Ali Gloves Authenticated by JSA but fail PSA/DNA?

I saw this pair of allegedly autographed Muhammad Ali autographed gloves on eBay and I couldn't believe James Spense Authentication wrote letters for them. So I paid the $7.49 and asked PSA/DNA for a Quick Opinion.

Here is the eBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120939571899

I am not perfect, but the shaky signatures on these gloves have all the characteristics of signatures of forgers. I saw JSA wrote letters on them, and JSA is considered the 2nd best 3rd party authenticators in the industry.

So, I submit the listing to PSA/DNA's Quick Opinion service and here is their reply:

Dear Joel Alpert,

Your Request for Item "Muhammad Ali Signed Set of Everlast Boxing Gloves w/ JSA COA LOA 's AUTO ", eBay Lot No. "120939571899", opinion was rendered at "7/13/2012 10:13:52 AM" and the result was:

Response: "Likely Not Genuine"

Here are the details of your Request:

Comments:
    Request ID: 87699
    Request By: 07/14/2012

Thank you choosing the QuickOpinion service!

Makes you wonder.

Name:  Ali 1.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  142.2 KB

Name:  Ali 2.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  136.0 KB

Name:  Ali 4.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  433.7 KB

Name:  Ali 3.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  438.4 KB

Re: Odd Ali Gloves Authenticated by JSA but fail PSA/DNA?

http://sigartsinc.blogspot.com/2010/...-industry.html

James Spence is a shady character...I wouldn't trust him to effectively change a light bulb if I handed the new bulb to him and he was directly under the light socket and the bulb had already been removed.

PSA/DNA and GAI are MUCH more reputable, IMO.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    http://sigartsinc.blogspot.com/2010/...-industry.html

James Spence is a shady character...I wouldn't trust him to effectively change a light bulb if I handed the new bulb to him and he was directly under the light socket and the bulb had already been removed.

PSA/DNA and GAI are MUCH more reputable, IMO.
    If Global is still eBay pre-certified as an authenticator by the end of the year I'll eat crow, whatever that means.

GAI is a hell of a lot more Shady than JSA. When I see GAI on an item I assume it is fake because anybody that knows the autograph industry knows they'll certify two squiggly lines on paper as Joe DiMaggio.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzick View Post
    GAI is a hell of a lot more Shady than JSA. When I see GAI on an item I assume it is fake because anybody that knows the autograph industry knows they'll certify two squiggly lines on paper as Joe DiMaggio.
    +1
    -Randy
    rborrero14 at gmail.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzick View Post
    Funny timing, I just listed on eBay a Joe DiMaggio 8x10 that was certified by both GAI and PSA/DNA. I wouldn't trust a GAI COA unless it has something much more reliable.

Need more proof? Look at closed prices for items with PSA/DNA and then look at the same items with Global authentication. A simple search on eBay will help show the public generally doesn't trust Global one bit.

Now, the public needs some education on James Spence Authentication. The Ali example above is just one of many.

James Spence Authentication now has all their authenticators sitting right out in the open at hobby trade shows. I hope someone brings up the Ali gloves in this thread to them at a future event. I'd like to hear them talk their way out of these Ali gloves that are basically worthless but their letters make bidders see a bargain.

Sure, it is an opinion. I could look at questionable autographs and write a letter stating I feel they are genuine. I prefer my experts are really experts and not pretending to be such.

Joel, do you have any idea who does the quick opinions for PSA via ebay? I can't imagine Steve Grad is sitting at the computer looking at these.

Ken
    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
    Joel, do you have any idea who does the quick opinions for PSA via ebay? I can't imagine Steve Grad is sitting at the computer looking at these.

Ken
    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com
    I don't know for sure, but I'd be pretty sure the authenticators log in and look at them when they have free time.

PSA has also authenticated a large amount of fakes, laser copies, etc.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    PSA has also authenticated a large amount of fakes, laser copies, etc.
    That is all you have to add? I could make a blanket statement without backing it up and it would mean nothing also.

Generally, after years of working with 3rd party autograph authenticators I can tell you that everyone is human when giving an opinion, but there are some that are the best and PSA/DNA is on the top of that list at this moment in time because their errors are minimal.

Just look at eBay's completed prices for autographed memorabilia with PSA/DNA, JSA and Global certificates. You'll see the premium goes to PSA/DNA because they are the best and no one can argue such.

Now, take JSA who authenticated a pair of questionable Muhammad Ali boxing gloves. How can they not know Muhammad Ali's autograph if they are experts?

I see hear stupid comments like the one quoted above from people all the time who I always have found didn't like that their "genuine" autograph failed PSA/DNA so now they hate the company. What is also funny is those are the same people who whine about their autographs not passing so they bash the authenticator time and time again even though their autograph is not genuine and failed for a reason.