Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

NCAA's Poor Leadership

It is very sad with the situation at Penn State and what Jerry Sandusky did to 10 innocent children. However, the decision issued by the NCAA on Monday concerning Penn State is like dropping the atomic bomb on millions of innocent people. Penn State will never be the same as a result of the extreme decision. College graduates, Alumni, and others will be affected and their degrees will be tainted. Businesses in State College will go out of business. Players that played hard to win games will now be told that it does not matter now. Plenty of other problems will occur. Should the NCAA have taken the case to the level it was taken to and affect the lives of many innocent people? Not to this level. I agree with a fine that helps fight the cause, but you do not drop the atomic bomb on Penn State. I feel the NCAA leadership (Mark Emmert) handled the situation very poorly. The NCAA may have ruined the lives of many innocent people and Penn State will never be the same.

I would also like to point out that Louis Freeh resigned in 2001 as FBI Director due to poor leadership and controversy. After reading this, is the report even accurate? Is the decision political and out of jealousy? Why did the NCAA not conduct its own investigation?

I feel more info will be coming out and what was done on Monday was the worse way to handle the problem. It is wrong to affect the lives of innocent people and that is what the NCAA accomplished.

Chris

Re: NCAA's Poor Leadership

I think that Penn State did enough to taint the name of the university themselves without the "help" of the NCAA.

Banned

I fully agree. The NCAA is hurting children who enrolled at Penn State for their future because they found what I believe to be four people who messed up a situation that should have been resolved years ago.

Coach Paterno, who I defended until recently, may have been more concerned with him image and the team than exposing the situation from the current reports. This is sad, but I do believe him when he said he never heard of a man molesting a child. I believe he didn't believe it could have happened but not having a proper investigation ruined his legacy.

The two university executives who will face trial are also in a similar position. They had no excuses not to report this to the police and have a full investigation.

The piece of crap who committed these crimes has ruined many, many lives because of his sickness and it now isn't just the victims, who's lives have been changed because of his behavior, but now new students including football players are being punished because of his actions and his superiors actions.

The whole situation is a shame and if anything good comes of it hopefully is the fact that child molestation is not to be swept under a carpet. It is a sick act that needs never to be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamechicken View Post
    I think that Penn State did enough to taint the name of the university themselves without the "help" of the NCAA.
    The NCAA then should not have gone to this level. They can fine Penn State and have money go back to help fight the cause. You do not need to reduce scholarships, change records, take bowl games away, etc. of people that had nothing to do with the situation. The NCAA went too extreme with the decision by affecting millions that had nothing to do with it.

I feel that the NCAA by not doing their own investigation and taking a report by someone that has resigned due to poor leadership and controversy does not say much for the NCAA leadership.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris78 View Post
    The NCAA then should not have gone to this level. They can fine Penn State and have money go back to help fight the cause. You do not need to reduce scholarships, change records, take bowl games away, etc. of people that had nothing to do with the situation. The NCAA went too extreme with the decision by affecting millions that had nothing to do with it.

I feel that the NCAA by not doing their own investigation and taking a report by someone that has resigned due to poor leadership and controversy does not say much for the NCAA leadership.

Chris
    It's 'Oh so easy to criticize.' So what would you propose?

..And after rioting in support of Joe Pa, PSU fans continue to amaze me.. I do not like the NCAA, but they are not the bad guy here. PSU did this to themselves.

Id like to point out that the NCAA did not do an investigation because they asked PSU to do one themselves. PSU HIRED LOUIS FREEH to lead the investigation and write a report. Now the fans are mad at the schools' own report, and trashing Freeh who was hired by the PSU leadership? The NCAA simply accepted the schools self investigation.. Something the fans are not willing to do themselves.

Chris, you are right that PSU will never be the same, but not because of the NCAA sanctions, the damage was done by PSU letting a child molestor run rampant for years on end.

I do feel bad for the players, fans, alumni. But I think in this case the death penalty was needed. I think that fans need to realize that the program is finished, and that it should be after what they did.

Be proud of your diploma and become a Steelers fan.
    Thanks,
    Jimmy

Email:
    jamesbrandt24 at yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by GoTigers View Post
    ..And after rioting in support of Joe Pa, PSU fans continue to amaze me.. I do not like the NCAA, but they are not the bad guy here. PSU did this to themselves.

Id like to point out that the NCAA did not do an investigation because they asked PSU to do one themselves. PSU HIRED LOUIS FREEH to lead the investigation and write a report. Now the fans are mad at the schools' own report, and trashing Freeh who was hired by the PSU leadership? The NCAA simply accepted the schools self investigation.. Something the fans are not willing to do themselves.

Chris, you are right that PSU will never be the same, but not because of the NCAA sanctions, the damage was done by PSU letting a child molestor run rampant for years on end.

I do feel bad for the players, fans, alumni. But I think in this case the death penalty was needed. I think that fans need to realize that the program is finished, and that it should be after what they did.

Be proud of your diploma and become a Steelers fan.
    The people that hired Louis Freeh were the Board of Trustees that needed to cover up for themselves. That is a problem in itself.

It is screwing over plenty of people that had nothing to do with it and that is wrong. As far as what I am proposing, I feel that a fine that helps fight the cause of the problem is fine, but do not take it out on everyone at Penn State.

I am a Steelers fan, a casual fan of Penn State (did not attend PSU), and live in Eastern PA about 180 miles from State College. I am stating the ripple effect of the NCAA decision is going to be much more harsh then what people may think.

Chris

Awww.... too harsh? Poor Penn State. These weren't some recruiting violations or similar athletic no-nos.. Frigging crimes against humanity. There's nothing lower than a child molester, though people who helped him continue his ways sure come close. Too bad for PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by slab0meat View Post
    Awww.... too harsh? Poor Penn State. These weren't some recruiting violations or similar athletic no-nos.. Frigging crimes against humanity. There's nothing lower than a child molester, though people who helped him continue his ways sure come close. Too bad for PSU.
    The decision affects too many people that had nothing to do with it, my friend. I think you are missing my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris78 View Post
    .. the ripple effect of the NCAA decision is going to be much more harsh then what people may think.
    ...the ripple effect of being raped by a creepy, old man is going to be much more harsh than what people may think.