Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Re: Bill Mastro, Doug Allen Indicted

Between at least 2001 and February 2009, Mastro, Allen, Theotikos and others allegedly caused and made false representations and omissions in Mastro Auctions’ catalogs, advertising, promotions, and other media, and in the bids placed in certain auctions. Those three defendants allegedly intended to deceive bidders into believing that Mastro Auctions conducted auctions according to practices that ensured fair and competitive auctions for all participants. They further intended to deceive participants into believing that greater market demand existed for some items than actually was the case, the charges allege.

Was this trying to say that Mastro allegedly practiced shill bidding.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

What company or who will be next???
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Another one bites the dust..............

Check one more off the list of who I won't see at the nationals!

The FBI has a special agent in charge of sports memorabilia related crimes. He is part of the "Art Crimes" division and he is a very knowledgable individual. He is also extremely easy to get in contact with if someone thinks that they have been a victim of fraud with regards to a sports memorabilia transaction.

How do I know this? I recently was involved in a transaction that I felt was suspicious in nature and after consulting with a number of fellow GUU board members, decided to give him a call.

We had an enlightening conversation and his scope of knowledge about the hobby, the products themselves (jerseys, balls, bats, autographs etc), the dealers and auction houses as well as the individual collector was impressive. He knew who I was (he called me "the 49er guy") without me providing any background except my name, which astounded me! He also knows who collects what as well as what is for sale via auction and in general. Most importantly he receives a detailed printout from the auction houses which he reviews for any signs of irregularity (shill bidding etc).

The fact that he knew who I was and had a detailed history of what I collected may sound ominous to some of us but he told me that the majority of the information he gathers comes from GUU and other publicly accessed places. Of course he has other considerable resources at his disposal but after speaking with him for over an hour, I got the sense that cleaning up the sports memorabilia industry was his first concern.

I will be speaking with him tomorrow to answer a few more questions. After that conversation and with clearance from him, I will fully explain the situation that prompted me to call him and what has transpired since.

It seems as if law enforcement and specifically the FBI is absolutely serious about cleaning up this hobby and going after the individuals that have contributed to its current state. The devotion of law enforcement resources towards persecuting auction houses, private businesses and individuals for sports memorabilia fraud was never a top priority but because of the work of a few dedicated agents, it is something that is quite real and carries a significant penalty!

If a fellow collector feels as if they have been the victim of fraud, then one the ways to help stop these kinds of crimes is to contact the FBI and let them know what has transpired. You may be pleasantly surprised by the response you receive!

Always buying 49er game worn and ANY 1994 49er gamers!
    Paul
    garciajones@yahoo.com

Normally this kind of news would be huge on a game used forum. Since this forum is on life support, the Mastro news barely registers with anyone.

I don't know how Legendary Auctions will survive when it's top guys are being indicted for shill bidding.
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

Cool Re: Bill Mastro, Doug Allen Indicted

This story is even making mainstream news reports. The Roe and Roeper Show (2PM CST, WLS-AM 890) had an interview with Grant DePorter, the local restauranteur who bought the Bartman ball from Mastro in 2004. He felt that transaction was legit, although he was skeptical, at first, about Mastro's offer to bid on his behalf. Later, he found out that there was, indeed, an opposing bidder driving up the price: Todd MacFarlane, the owner of numerous milestone home run baseballs.

Dave Miedema

Yet coaches corner can carry on in selling fakes and taking people's money.

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    Yet coaches corner can carry on in selling fakes and taking people's money.
    Good point...wonder how this is possible?

Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...