Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mel Ott 1930's Game Used Bat Stolen at National!!!

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to make the forum aware that a Mel Ott 1930's Game Used Bat was stolen from the JT Sports booth at the National yesterday. This item was at the booth for authentication and was recently purchased at the Hunt All Star Auction in Kansas City.

http://huntauctions.com/live/imagevi...m=268&lot_qual=

The bat has been reported stolen and if you should see it offered for sale please contact myself or John Taube of Jt Sports.

Thank you for your time,

Anthony

RichardsonA742@aol.com

Re: Mel Ott 1930's Game Used Bat Stolen at National!!!

man....it seems like something like this is happening at every big show as of late...sad

Interesting.

When an item like this is stolen? Where does it go? I assume it wouldn't get stolen for your own collection, so it has to float around and eventually it has to pop up somewhere.

I would think the person who stole it, stole it for someone else and would sit in a private collection that really couldn't be displayed. But then what? Would the bat jsut get destroyed by who ever has it to avoid being caught?

It is a one of a kind item. I am sure the national convention has security cameras and where ever the bat went, someone has to havea vision record of the the wareabouts.

Stuff like this makes the news and it makes our whole industry look bad to outsiders.

Guys:

That was my bat. Obviously I am very upset about it and am doing everything possible, including notifying auction houses and dealers. John Taube has filed a police report. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Scott Foraker
    SFor9999@aol.com

Sorry to hear about your bat Scott! Hope you get it back and whoever stole goes to jail!
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Scott, Were there any concerns about this bat after you purchased it? There is a chance that whoever consigned it to Hunt's may have not wanted to let Taube get a look at it for authentication.... just a conspiracy theory. Best of luck getting it back. John

Thanks for the thoughts and wishes, guys. The bat was consigned by the 92 year old daughter of a former player that played in the era Mel ott played. The player had the ott bat and a Cobb bat that he passed along to his daughter. Now that she is 92, she decided to consign the bats to hunt, and I was the winning bidder. The hunt folks hand delivered the bat to John taube on Thursday afternoon and it was stolen from his both later that afternoon.

Scott,
    I hope the bat turns up, I could only imagine how you feel. A bat like that sure seems like it would be hard to hide for any length of time...
    always looking for Detroit Tiger world series player bats......game used 2006 & 2012 world series items....Quintin Berry bats....also interested in Ivan Rodriguez bats...
    Thank you, Dale
    tigers1984@comcast.net

Scott,
    I hope your bat turns up and the person who stole it pays a hefty price for their poor choice! Our hobby has a lot of people who will keep their eyes open to help a fellow collector when we can.

Scott

Criminals really take the fun out of everything.