Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: 1993 Phillies World Series Jersey

Wow. Nice way to do business. I purchased a few things from Burns in the past and will not do so again. Based on my own experience, his attitude and customer service skills suck.
    "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

why do people keep going to these so called experts and dealers to buy stuff?
    let me tell you guys something; years ago when i was new in the hobby and didn't know who zane was, i was at a show in chicago trying to deal some clemente items. one of the items was a clemente bat that was from the 73-75, obviously after he died. anyway, zane told me that the bat was not all that but that he would give me $100 for it and call it a day. well, eventhough i wanted to sell the items, i didn't let him steal it from me! i met with a guy who gave me a deposit and took the bat and put it in auction and i got $800 for it!
    that was the first AND last time i delt with zane. i don't have time to deal with stupidity like that. if nobody bought from these guys they would just widdle away and be gone. but collectors keep entertaining there tomfoolery and they keep going! just my 2 cents!

daryl,

just wanted to reiterate that other than the posts ive made here, i have no connection this jersey. the book i referred to is often available on ebay. i purchased it due to my interest in early 90s blue jays jerseys. i simply thought it might be interesting to use the book in this situation.
    after my post here, zane changed his description. i do find it odd that a seller is going to pump up a jersey solely based on my opinion, without seeing the book/photos themselves. if zane indicated that if he does the work the price increases then can i assume that since i did the work i can look forward to a cut of the proceeds?
    at any rate daryl, my original intent was simply to chime in saying that if you were looking for a 93 world series phillies jersey, then this one seems to be a good bet. if you're interested in the book its called "a series to remember - the official book of the 1993 world series. analysis by joe morgan, introduction by buck martinez". there are also a couple of photos on getty of daulton during the 93 series in a home white jersey. they only show 1 or 2 angles but those 1 or 2 match up. take my information for what it's worth. good luck.

rudy.

thanks again for the info, Rudy. The hobby needs more people like you. i'm actually surprised that i don't have the book myself. i'm going to try to find it. it's unfortunate, but Zane lost a sale. I was going to buy the jersey, simply because it's exactly what i wanted. originally, i could have cared less who was selling it - expert, no expert, whatever. i've been collecting long enough to do my due diligence, especially before spending $3000. I'll just continue to look, and Zane can give is to hunts, or wipe his behind with it.
    Daryl

Here's something interesting about this jersey, considering that Zane claims the tag was "ripped out"...
    Below is a link to the original EAC auction where Daulton was going to sell all of his stuff...
    http://liveauctioneers.com/item/1647...ries-gu-jersey

The link points to the road jersey, which is also missing the tag. Now, either the small, 1 inch tag bothered Dutch to the point where he ripped them out of both jerseys (highly doubtful), or he travelled back in time (he supposedly can do that) to the 1993 WS wearing store bought jerseys, then claimed them as game worn.

Why else would both his home and road jerseys be missing one of the most important components of a true game worn jersey, when all other true Phillies game worn jerseys from that year have the Polyester tag????

hi daryl,

while not common, i've seen some gamers without the poly tag. no poly tag yet no evidence of a (retail) neck tag having been removed. i'd normally be wary unless the provenance was solid which it seems to be in this case. (if these daulton jerseys were retail jerseys, then someone would've also had to remove the neck tags.)

i'm not sure what you're implying here. do you believe the EAC items aren't legit? do you believe daulton offered unworn retail jerseys?

if the road and home world series jerseys both lack a poly tag then that sort of consistency may be evidence of a larger design. more specifically, perhaps the phillies received new jerseys for the series and these new jerseys were a late season order. as a late season order, perhaps russell neglected to sew in the poly tags on a few? this might explain why the phillies regular season jerseys in 93 had the poly tags as they wouldve been early season orders. or perhaps daulton really did remove the poly tags from both jerseys?

if you believe the jerseys genuinely came from daulton then what other explanations could there be? it's difficult to picture something underhanded and sinister in this case.

incidentally, here is the book i referred to:

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Book-...e=UTF8&s=books

while i can't speak for the road jersey, the letters/numbers/pinstripes on the home jersey matching up to photos is hard to refute or duplicate.

rudy.

daryl,

looks like hunt auctions got the jersey they wanted and sold it for $1600:

http://www.huntauctions.com/online/i...rer=search.cfm

far short of the estimate. anyway, see these as well:

personally i think they're really nice jerseys. daulton had some very cool, unique items. too bad his ebay auction was cancelled.

rudy.