Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Holy Cow! $600 + for a Bobby Murcer bat?

And it hasnt even hit the reserve yet! Alot of coin for a .277 hitter with 250 home runs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yankees-Bobby-Mu...QQcmdZViewItem

Re: Holy Cow! $600 + for a Bobby Murcer bat?

Murcer is one of those players whose inconic and sentimental value exceeds his stats for a lot of fans and collectors.

First, this bat is an outstanding example of a Murcer from that period. You see very few Murcer bats like this.

Second, I'm sure some of the bidding is influenced (positively) by knowing the bat comes from Jim Caravello. Collectors know that Jim is a knowledgeable, trustworthy source and that he only picks up top items for his collection.

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Hi Reid - thanks for the kind comments. The bat didn't sell, but the bidding topped over $760. Murcer is one of those Yankees, like Mantle and Mattingly, that the fans just loved. His early 70's bats are very hard to find - especially in this condition. Yankee bats garner more money in the market - great example is Mantle - an early 60's Mantle might cost you $20,000 - $30,000 depending upon the bat. You can fetch an early 60's Aaron, Mays, Mathews, etc. for much less. It still amazes me that late 60's - early 70's Aaron bats regularly sell for $4,000. If I had a ton of cash laying around, I would buy every nice one I could get my hands on.......

Thanks again Reid. Jim

Jim

Kudos for the nice bat. I was unaware that Murcer garnered that much hobby respect. I watched him play as a kid and knew he was the "next Mickey Mantle" but I always regarded him as a so-so player. Best of luck getting the most money you can.