Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thread: anaheim stadium

anaheim stadium

to those that live out there, or anyone for that matter, what happened to the big "A" that was beyond left field? i remember going to games there and seeing it.

Re: anaheim stadium

Quote Originally Posted by momen55 View Post
    to those that live out there, or anyone for that matter, what happened to the big "A" that was beyond left field? i remember going to games there and seeing it.
    a casualty of the 1994 earthquake.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

what a shame. that was cool.

Apparently that 1994 earthquake shook so violently that it moved the Big A out into the Angel Stadium of Anaheim parking lot next to the 57 Freeway. I saw it there yesterday when attending the game. Wow, the wonders of nature. Amazingly, the electronics still work and it even has ads for current and future events, and it looks freshly painted.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by 012562 View Post
    Apparently that 1994 earthquake shook so violently that it moved the Big A out into the Angel Stadium of Anaheim parking lot next to the 57 Freeway. I saw it there yesterday when attending the game. Wow, the wonders of nature. Amazingly, the electronics still work and it even has ads for current and future events, and it looks freshly painted.

Tom
    I tell a similar story to out of the area visitors and to my little kids. The power of Disn... Nature.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Say what??

The "Big A" is still there. It is out adjacent to the right field corner, away from the Stadium now. Originally it was located out past left-center field, in the original configuration in the 60s. Then when the Rams moved down in '80, it became a horrible, completely closed seating structure.
    The '94 Norhridge quake actually caused a Sony Jumbotron to collapse onto the upper deck seating area in left (luckily during the offseason)

Here is how it looked in the mid 60s, followed by some more current shots...
    Attached Images Attached Images     

that's cool. i was going to ask if anyone has photos to post.
    so it got enclosed for football? freakin greed. why can't the stadiums be left open? they look much better. screw all that seating and fountains and trees.
    i want to see water and trees i'll go to a park or forest preserve.