Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: "Where did you get this bat!!??"

The only story I have that even comes close to this was back in 2011 (at a paid signing) I had Brady Anderson sign a 1989 Orioles GU LVS bat that I had acquired via a club employee (who is now deceased) & the first thing he said when he saw it was "You had to have stolen this out of my locker, because I never would have given this good a piece of lumber away!" When I told him who it originated it from, he just shook his head & signed it.....Fortunately, this took place in the back room prior to him going out to the public area, but I was still somewhat embarrassed by it all.

When I presented Garin Cecchini with his USA 18U jersey his face lit up. He held it up, looked it over, and said he had heard they had sold them without even washing them. He then asked if he could take it back into the clubhouse to show Sean Coyle who was on the team with him. He came back out and told us he had his picture taken with it and then we talked for about two minutes on where he should sign it. After he signed it we talked about the team and the other players who were on it... Harper, Machado, etc...
    Always on the lookout for Garin Cecchini game used items especially Greenville Drive and Salem Red Sox jerseys.
    I accept PM's so shoot me a message.

Sorry to dredge up an old post- but I had wanted to see some Gwynn Gmers.

Didn't happen to me personally, but I've heard about Hanley Ramirez being a **** to collectors.

The story I've heard most- from multiple people with the team and fans of the team was once at a season ticket holder event, when presented with a bat to sign that came from the charity foundation he refused.

Only after someone from the team pleading to sign for the fan, did he......

"Hanley Ramirez- not for sale"

Well it read really "H2R Not for sale" but you get the idea.

He always seemed like a prick to me- this didn't surprise me much the first time I heard it.

Figured I'd add-

Much different experiences with Giancarlo Stanton- such a cool dude. He looks over what I've shown and gotten signed by him- and seems really interested in what's attached to it- game photos and personal photos I took of him usin the stuff.

Coolest things I've gotten signed was a bat I photographed him breaking myself, and a helmet.

I went to a Roger Maris Memorial golf tournament in Fargo a few years ago and had a very nice visit with Rich Rollins and Bernie Allen. They have been lifelong friends since breaking in with the Twins in 1962, and two of the nicest guys you'd ever be able to meet. I had gamers for each of them to sign.

When I handed Rich is bat, he looked it over and asked where I got it. I told him some memorabilia dealer from California, but he didn't seem to care too much, he was just fascinated by the bat. I asked him about the sanded-down barrel end, if that was something he used to do.

Bernie Allen laughed at that and said, "This guy had a workshop to work on his bats!" And then Rich proceeded to tell me how he'd doctor his bats, by using a bottle cap to score the barrel, then pour resin on it to make the hitting surface harder, and so on. In the middle of him saying all this, he paused and said, "Of course this was all illegal..." I asked him about the model - D89, and he remembered using them. He also explained that he didn't have a contract with H&B and that's why his name was in block letter.

About a year earlier, I had mailed Bernie a different one of his gamers to sign, which he had done for me. I reminded him of that, and thanked him again, and asked if he'd sign this other one too, which he did. Then he talked baseball for awhile, about how the first time he played with Aurelio Rodriguez he was so impressed with his throwing arm. The ball got down there fast, and accurate, which gave him plenty of time to make the play at second and get out of harm's way. Then he said, "That was the worst trade in baseball, ever... who was that guy...?" And I replied "McLain." And Bernie said, oh, that's right, and he went into what a miserable deal it was, trading a 20 game winner (Coleman) for a 20 game loser who was also a jerk, and throwing in a great left side of the infield too (Rodriguez and Brinkman.)

Anyway, both Rich and Bernie were delighted to see their bats, and even happier that fans still remember and care about their playing days. Rich had mentioned that he had been given a gamer at one of his All Star games, by a guy who's in the Hall of Fame, but that Rich has no intention of selling it. Anyway, after I got home I wrote a letter to Rich, thanking him again (I had caught Bernie as I was leaving the tourney to say goodbye and give him thanks) and to suggest he prepare a Letter of Authenticity for that bat, with his firsthand story of how he got it. I also suggested he make an audio tape or CD with some of his reminiscenses, including the story of the bat, as a sort of audio LOA, as well as a fascinating history to pass down through his family over the years and generations. He wrote me back, a very nice handwritten letter, telling me he enjoyed our visit, hoped to see me again at the golf tourney, and thanking ME for showing him the D89.

I have a set of A J Pierzynski's White Sox game used chest protector and shin guards. When I asked him to sign them he asked " where did I get them?" I told him off EBay and he seemed upset, but did sign all 3 pieces "game used".