Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What got me started in the game used hobby

Four years ago I began to flirt with the idea of collecting game worn jerseys. I'd been a hardcore sports card collector since 1990, but was gradually losing the excitement of getting cards. I loved the concept of jersey cards when they initially arrived in the hobby, but like everyone else, grew tired of them.

Furthermore, it infuriated me to see historical items being cut to shreads.

I was officially tired of having only a tiny piece of memorabilia. I wanted to own the whole piece of sports history. I wanted to own items that were, practically, one of a kind.

My collection contained one game jersey from 1994, worn by former Virginia star point guard Harold Deane that my Aunt had obtained for me. Now, I wanted more.

My only major issue was costs. I saw game jerseys as mostly unattainable items. The costs of many of my favorite players/teams were in the upper hundreds if not thousands. So, I focused my collection on former Virginia Cavaliers and role players from my favorite teams.

In the fours years since then, my game used collection consists of nearly 40 jerseys, half-a-dozen bats, a base and a couple game used helmets. Most do belong to former Virginia players, although I have acquired a few from my favorite pro teams including a huge one from my bucket list, a Brooks Laich Capitals jersey - his first jersey with the alternate captain patch attached.

The excitement of ripping open packs has been completely replaced by chasing jerseys of players who rarely ever pop up on the market.

Now that's my story...what's yours? I'm curious what got other members started. What was your first game used item?

Re: What got me started in the game used hobby

first was cards, like most. then i focused on roberto clemente. once i had enough of his items, including a game used bat, i started on the game used search. had a few minor league bats to start then the collection took off from there.

Quote Originally Posted by momen55 View Post
    first was cards, like most. then i focused on roberto clemente. once i had enough of his items, including a game used bat, i started on the game used search. had a few minor league bats to start then the collection took off from there.
    and this over a 30-35 year period.

Cards then sga bobbleheads and then in 2003 my close friend made his MLB debut and the seed was planted! It took many years to narrow my collection focus (at one point I bought any and all Reds bats, had around 80) to now I have a very focused Reds collection and am able to pass on items....most of the time

Like everyone else, I started collecting cards as a kid. As much as I still love cards, if I'm going to pay few hundred dollars for something, I'd much rather have something game-used instead of a piece of cardboard who's value can fluctuate at Beckett's whim.

My first game-used item was a LaDainian Tomlinson Chargers white road jersey from 2001.
    The jersey came from Tay Cody, a CB on the Chargers.
    I picked them up almost 10 years ago.
    I was in the right place at the right time.
    I have been able to photo match the jersey, and it is still my favorite piece.

I got a future Hall of Fame player as my first game-used item, and I was hooked.

I now have:
    Game-Used Jersey (4, Tomlinson, Jay Cutler (R), Tommie Harris (R), Peerless Price)
    Game-Used Cleats (3, Jones, Urlacher 2007, Urlacher 2011, Ray Lewis 2009 Pro Bowl)
    Pro Day-Used Cleats (1, Rob Gronkowski)
    Game-Used Chinstrap (1, George Blanda)

I love this GUU forum! You guys share my love for this hobby, and you are fighting to keep it's integrity. Thank You, Alex.

I started with bats and the first gamer I had was a Larry Berra from the early 1950's.

Went to a minor league game and someone gave me a Joe White game used bat...I decided to try this every game I went to and the numbers started adding up. Now I have a nice collection of game used bats from prospects.

I always loved sports jerseys. The hierarchy was pretty simple: Replica's were cheap and most people I knew had a few of guys they cheered for or were the best in their sport. If you were really a fan of a team, you bought an "authentic" jersey. They were store bought, cost twice what replica's did and I was lucky enough to live near Gerry Cosby's so the name/numbers were always authentic. When I was growing up, I disliked cheap looking jerseys (similar to knockoffs in my opinion)

I always wanted any jersey I owned to be as real as possible. Nothing is wore real than Game Worn. I dreamed on one day having the only truly "authentic" Pavel Bure jersey and thanks to my lovely wife, I now do.

Unfortunately I also have a ton of other totally authentic game worn jerseys and a sadly small bank account
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

I started first by collecting cards. What changed my focus was an article in Tuff Stuff magazine about a baseball collector who had a large card collection but did not have any real baseball items. I felt the same way about my football collection. Now my football collection of former University of Hawaii players stands at 79 game-used jerseys (one team issued); 9 practice jerseys; 3 pairs of cleats; and 2 pairs of gloves. I still collect football cards of former UH players and that number is closing in on 900 cards.

In 1971 I started going to the University of Hawaii Basketball games. Being 11 years old, I would run on the court after the game and ask the players for their wristbands. At the end of the Football season, I would ask players for their chin strap,elbow pads & whatever they would give up.

Today I have game used jerseys, helmets, shoes, & great memories of those bold , crazy times !