Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fake Canseco Game Used Bat? - Help needed

I recently purchased a bat represented as a "Jose Canseco Heavily Game Used Bat". I won the bat on ebay (item number: 190036004121) from seller prhitking4256, whom I believe was a member here with the name hitking.

The detailed description of the bat stated, as follows:

"Up for bid is a late 1980's-early 1990's era game used Jose Canseco Cooper Professional model 243 bat. The bat shows excellent game use and is caked in dried tar/rosin. The knob is appropriately factory stamped with the bats measurements which are 35 inches and 33 ounces. Jose's #33 is also handwritten on each end in faded marker. The bats barrel exhibits ball,rack, and cleat marks. This is a very nice Canseco gamer and would be very hard to upgrade. Cooper was Jose's bat of choice for many years. Winner to please add $12.00 shipping. I accept checks,money orders, and paypal. As with all of my game used memorabilia, this bat is 100% guaranteed authentic and guaranteed to pass Mears authentication. Thanks"

The bat matched Jose's measurements, and looked just like a Canseco gamer should look, the correct Cooper model. Before bidding, I emailed the seller and asked him about how he obtained the bat. He responded as follows:

"The bat is from Jose's Oakland A's days and I recieved the bat directly from Jose. Thanks, Chris".

I bid on the bat, and won it at $224.72 excluding shipping. I had no reason to question its authenticity, and perhaps foolishly took the seller at his word.

Yesterday, by chance, I was browsing a Leland's auction held in January 2005 and noticed a lot of GAME ISSUED bats, one being a Jose Canseco Cooper model. Something about the bat struck me - It looks identical to my own. The grain of the wood appeared to match it perfectly, and other small marks on the bat were also present on my own. I believe they are the same bat. If anyone can have a look at the bats and give some help here it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jose Canseco bat I purchased from prhitking4256.

Jose Canseco Game Issued Bat sold by Leland's in 2005.

Re: Fake Canseco Game Used Bat? - Help needed

The grain looks to be a match.Sorry to see this.I was lucky enough to catch a fraud(dolphinboy) trying to sell me a doctored Johnny Damon bat before i bought it.See what other members think and if it's unanimous call out this fraud.....
    jon

The bat from lelands is the bat you have, the grain is exact!

Here we go again.......Looks like you exposed another fraudulent dealer.

You should forward these photos to the people at Lelands and they may be able to help you file fraud charges against this dealer.

This [content removed] needs to stop!!!

Bobby

sorry but it's the same bat. here are the 2 knobs:

they match up perfectly.

rudy.

Thanks so much for the help with this. You have confirmed my own suspicions with the bat.

I've contacted the seller (prhitking4256), and made it clear that I'm not happy with the bat and shall be seeking a refund for its return. I bought it on ebay, paid through paypal. This would be the first time I've sought a refund on an item, or had any such problem. Are there any pointers you could give in how I'd go about this?

I'm a law grad, so I know a thing or two about misrepresentation in contract. I'll be seeking further legal opinion if he doesn't cooperate with me on the refund and return. I'd also involve the auction house Leland's, if possible. Right now, I'm weighing options.

Bottom line, I'm not at all happy with the bat.

Thanks again, guys.

The bats are the same and as a huge baseball fan, I have to say that it is a disgrace that someone would sell garbage like this. You want to make money, fine. We all do. But don't con someone into buying some [content removed] like this. It is an embarrassment to collector's and sellers alike. Sorry this happened to you. Don't lose heart though. There really are good sellers out there. Unforturnately, you have to get through the [content removed] first.

ChipperJ1979

I would contact Leland's and ask who purchased the bat. I don't know if they have guidelines on buyer confidentiality or not but I would imagine so. However, if you explain the situation and include some images of the two bats you may get a sympathetic employee that might help you out. It's worth a shot I think. If you bought it through paypal, they should also refund you. Paypal is usually pretty good like that. Again sorry this happened to you Canseco.

I'm disappointed since I thought I'd found a real nice example of a Canseco gamer. You're right, nothing teaches like experience. Don't worry, I haven't lost heart.

I think I'll contact Leland's tomorrow, and go through the ebay and paypal process. Thanks for the advice, Chipper. If you're a Chipper Jones fan, good taste.

haha I am a HUGE Chipper fan. Have been for ages. The best third baseman I have ever seen. You are a Chipper fan to?