Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thoughts on Riggins jersey on ebay

I know that the Bettis jersey is no good reading the other posts, it is the same seller. It has a Coa from JO, which makes me worried off the bat, would love some input.

Thanks.

Banned

Re: Thoughts on Riggins jersey on ebay

I like it. There are passionate Redskins collectors out there and we may never hear their opinion on the jersey on this forum - they run silent and deep (LOL).

The final price will answer your question.

I couldn't find any styles from 1976-1978 that matched the offered jersey's font of the front and back 44's. The photos of the jerseys I could find had a straight cut of the numerals on the front (or left side) of the 4, not the angled cut of the jersey being sold (see examples at Getty Images #107963405 or #96363189). I'm not a Redskins collector but grew up watching Riggins run. There are likely other Redskins collectors with a greater knowledge of Redskins jerseys who will have more insightful analysis, but the font of the numerals is the immediate flaw I noticed.

Has it been removed from EBay? Can't seem to find it.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Flamechicken View Post
    Has it been removed from EBay? Can't seem to find it.

Mike
    The seller ended the auction for reasons unknown. For your reference, here's the link to the ended auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/120983155236...84.m1423.l2649

Jason

Thanks for the link.

Mike

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jbcindc View Post
    I couldn't find any styles from 1976-1978 that matched the offered jersey's font of the front and back 44's. The photos of the jerseys I could find had a straight cut of the numerals on the front (or left side) of the 4, not the angled cut of the jersey being sold (see examples at Getty Images #107963405 or #96363189). I'm not a Redskins collector but grew up watching Riggins run. There are likely other Redskins collectors with a greater knowledge of Redskins jerseys who will have more insightful analysis, but the font of the numerals is the immediate flaw I noticed.
    Not all that surprised the auction was ended early and your thread raised an interesting question so I dug around Getty and I did find a home and road version. Here are a couple of scans of Riggins with the "straight" cut font as opposed to the "angle" cut font on the eBay jersey.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...ht_1162wt_1186

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images   

The Riggins jersey is back up on eBay but this time with Buy It Now of $6,000 or Make Offer. I don't know what to make of it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Riggins...item1c2b43cb2f

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
    The Riggins jersey is back up on eBay but this time with Buy It Now of $6,000 or Make Offer. I don't know what to make of it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Riggins...item1c2b43cb2f
    It's been lowered to $4500.00

I brought up with the seller that I could find no photo from 1976-78 that showed Riggins wearing a jersey with numerals that matched the jersey he's selling. Here was his reply:

"Actually they did, I have a photo match. If you give me your email I will send it to you. In the mid seveties this lettering was used. This jersey originated from legendary auctions. If you go a google image search for John riggings and legendary auctions you will see a picture of this jersey."

I gave him my e-mail address and requested a photo of Riggins wearing a jersey with this numeral style and never received a reply. I looked up the Legendary Auction jersey and while I have no idea if the Legendary Auction jersey is legit (http://legendaryauctions.com/LotDeta...ntoryid=34290), it does not match the jersey he's selling. See the Legendary Auction jersey below: