Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Griffey 1994 Jersey– Where's the Nameplate?

Ken, thank you for taking the time to respond. I got a similar answer from troy at mears. I, like many others here, have been burned at some point in this hobby. As my personal method I prefer to try to style or photo match a purchase of this magnitude. And there are very limited opportunities to do so on a jersey from 1994, hence my reaching out to collectors with much more knowledge than myself. Again I thank you for your in depth response and i wish you good luck with your auctions. -Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by 5kRunner View Post
    Maybe I'm not understanding or missing something.

How can one note on the worksheet that "no nameplate due to Griffey's need for extra jerseys for his marketing purposes" and conclude that this jersey is game worn?
    "marketing purposes" means that these no nameplate jerseys were player/agent ordered as opposed to team ordered.

I see this situation similar to the "set 3" Texas Rangers jerseys of Alex Rodriguez and Pudge Rodriguez. There are no common player jerseys to compare tags because there no set three jersey for common players to compare them to. These jerseys were ordered to meet the demand for their game used items.

One thing going for the Griffey jersey is its ties to Coast to Coast as they have a solid reputation. I cannot say there is the same for the comfort level of the dealer of ARod items while he was in Texas. There has been at least one other no nameplate jersey that has come up for sale that I am aware of.
    Griffey backs this jersey fully in case latter there is the possibility of looking at videos for every home game from 1994 in the future. It would be a certain redflag without the COA from Coast to Coast, imo or it was "replaced" by an auction house COA, which would destroy the trace of provenance.

As for use, I believe it would be a separate issue based on the examination of the jersey itself.

As said by Ken, not every jersey comes in a neat package. Those types of neat packaged jerseys are out there so think if you can live with the anomaly or wait for 1994 Griffey jersey with a nameplate.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    "marketing purposes" means that these no nameplate jerseys were player/agent ordered as opposed to team ordered.

I see this situation similar to the "set 3" Texas Rangers jerseys of Alex Rodriguez and Pudge Rodriguez. There are no common player jerseys to compare tags because there no set three jersey for common players to compare them to. These jerseys were ordered to meet the demand for their game used items.

One thing going for the Griffey jersey is its ties to Coast to Coast as they have a solid reputation. I cannot say there is the same for the comfort level of the dealer of ARod items while he was in Texas. There has been at least one other no nameplate jersey that has come up for sale that I am aware of.
    Griffey backs this jersey fully in case latter there is the possibility of looking at videos for every home game from 1994 in the future. It would be a certain redflag without the COA from Coast to Coast, imo or it was "replaced" by an auction house COA, which would destroy the trace of provenance.

As for use, I believe it would be a separate issue based on the examination of the jersey itself.

As said by Ken, not every jersey comes in a neat package. Those types of neat packaged jerseys are out there so think if you can live with the anomaly or wait for 1994 Griffey jersey with a nameplate.
    See, in my head, I was thinking "marketing purposes" meant extra jerseys to wear at events/appearances or autographed jerseys for the local childrens hospital auction, etc. Guess I wasn't thinking about marketing of game used items. I think the term is vague and without a clear definition is open to interpretation.

I appreciate Mr. Goldin's response. He seems like a stand up guy and wants to confirm the jersey is what its claimed to be. That's pretty rare. Thank you, Mr. Goldin.
    SCOTT
    scottjrepking at gmail.com

Always looking for game used bats from Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Jody Davis, Shawon Dunston, Jerome Walton, Rick Sutcliffe, and Greg Maddux. Preferably CUBS era bats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by 5kRunner View Post
    See, in my head, I was thinking "marketing purposes" meant extra jerseys to wear at events/appearances or autographed jerseys for the local childrens hospital auction, etc. Guess I wasn't thinking about marketing of game used items. I think the term is vague and without a clear definition is open to interpretation.
    True. I just wanted as general definition for the term to fit the possibility of being used in a game or for promotional purposes.

I dont have time right now but curious what autographed Griffey jersey looked like from 1994. Location of autograph and whether nameplate or no nameplate.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    I believe "marketing purposes" means whatever the seller wants it to mean. There is no set in stone definition.

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    I believe "marketing purposes" means whatever the seller wants it to mean. There is no set in stone definition.
    Fair enough.

The main point is that Mears was able to get this "marketing purposes"comment from King to verify that the jersey came from Unique Sports. I think this was a great service to Mark (the original buyer, who is know well for selling some nice Griffey item) what Mears and the auction house did for him to verify its provenance. The lack of third party authentication and the anomaly may have been the reason there was no interest when it was listed on EBay.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com