Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Griffey 1994 Jersey– Where's the Nameplate?

I have a question for the Mariners equipment experts out there . . . did the Mariners sew the name on the back of their jerseys directly at anytime without using a nameplate? I have never seen any Griffey jerseys from this era without a nameplate. Although photos are limited from the strike shortened season there are images of both the teal and road jerseys with a nameplate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-KEN-GRI...item19d4b2513a

The date tag is also somewhat of a mystery. Other Mariners jerseys have a more computer printer generated style for the numbers while this one appears to be sewn.

What makes things more interesting is the signed certificate by Griffey himself on this one. What are your thoughts?

Banned

Angry Re: Griffey 1994 Jersey– Where's the Nameplate?

The Baseball Card Kid (Mark Murphy) is not a standard GU equipment dealer, but did have a number of Griffey items from his time in Seattle. Still, the lack of NOB plate concerns me, and that style of Russell tag font only appeared on a handful of jerseys in 1994 made specifically for spring training....the standard, regular-season tag font you describe is the normal one.
    Without at least a style-match, I'd pass.

Dave Miedema

Re: Griffey 1994 Jersey– Where's the Nameplate?

I agree, Dave. I even researched other Mariners players photos from 1994 and came up empty. All showed a nameplate.

Looks like this jersey has made its way to goldin auctions, now with a letter from MEARS stating that griffey ordered jerseys without nameplates. I still cant find a picture from 1994 that is lacking a nameplate.

https://goldinauctions.com/LotDetail...and-MEARS-A-10

Banned

I can't say anything about the jersey itself, but I can tell you that the original letter which came from Coast-To-Coast was a company that was buddy buddy with Griffey, Jr. and A-Rod during this time period and they bought a lot of stuff right from the players and they did a lot of autograph signings with them during this era.

In fact, playing poker in Las Vegas about ten years ago I introduced myself to Alex Rodriguez and mentioned Coast-To-Coast to him and then he started talking to me about playing professional poker full time because he trusted me since I knew the C-To-C boys.

I guess thats part of the confusion Joel, coast to coast handled a lot of griffeys early stuff but there's no hologram system or even picture coa...so my skeptical mind wonders if the jersey or coa had been switched at some point in the last 18 years. I'm still waiting for the griffey experts to verify that he ordered extra jerseys sans nameplate.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by beef View Post
    I guess thats part of the confusion Joel, coast to coast handled a lot of griffeys early stuff but there's no hologram system or even picture coa...so my skeptical mind wonders if the jersey or coa had been switched at some point in the last 18 years. I'm still waiting for the griffey experts to verify that he ordered extra jerseys sans nameplate.
    You could also contact Troy at MEARS and ask how they made that determination.

Banned

Question Re: Griffey 1994 Jersey– Where's the Nameplate?

It would be interesting to find out what information (if any) MEARS had regarding NOB Plate-less Griffey jerseys. With this anomaly, as good as they were in the era, I'd need more than a C to C LOA to accept this one.

And, Joel, before you suggest I call Troy for the scoop, I've tried to contact him on multiple different matters over the last year. I always get a recording, and the next call he returns will be the first.

Dave Miedema

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    It would be interesting to find out what information (if any) MEARS had regarding NOB Plate-less Griffey jerseys. With this anomaly, as good as they were in the era, I'd need more than a C to C LOA to accept this one.

And, Joel, before you suggest I call Troy for the scoop, I've tried to contact him on multiple different matters over the last year. I always get a recording, and the next call he returns will be the first.

Dave Miedema
    I wasn't going to suggest you call Troy. The guy asked for help and I figured Troy best to help him. I'm pretty sure you and Troy are on separate boats these days :-)

Unraveling this mystery may be difficult but possible with some leg work. If memory serves, back in 1994, in an issue of sports collectors digest, MOS sports had a big ad containing griffey gu equipment from 1994. The jerseys were photographed and had these coa's. If someone has saved those issues from 1994, you will find your answer. I had a road 1994 junior, and mine had a name plate. I will say the signature placement on this one is where it should be for all of the griffey jerseys that came with his coa.