• suave1477
    Banned
    • Jan 2006

Re: 1989 Pete Rose Gamer on eBay

Originally posted by trsent
    Really? Really?

Really?

(Trying to quote The Miz, poorly so)

Keep trying to justify this jersey folks. I'll take the don't and y'all can keep dreaming something is what it will never be found to be.

Using the theory that Scoreboard in some other adds mentioned pro-cut tagging but they didn't in one ad for Pete Rose doesn't mean the jersey wasn't pro-cut. Hopefully someday one of these pops up for sale on eBay. That would be cool and end this discussion real fast.
    I cant believe im gonna do this again. But I actually agree with TRSENT!!

Comment

• joelsabi
      • Aug 2005

Re: 1989 Pete Rose Gamer on ebay

Someone asked for proof Scoreboard had these jerseys - Ken Goldin, posting through someone else, said they did Pete Rose back then, but if that isn't proof enough, did you ever think that maybe Scoreboard wasn't the only company with access to order pro-cut style jerseys in this era? Who knows if they sold elsewhere to any other companies.
      this could well be jersey special ordered for a Reds charity event and were intentionally tagged with mismatched tags by Rawlings to differentiate from a team issued jersey. Reminds me of Rawlings made a small modification for promo gloves given to UDA.

if this was a carry over tag issue this would be a 1990 Pete Rose jersey which we all know he was managing anymore.
      Regards,
      Joel S.
      joelsabi @ gmail.com
      Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• joelsabi
        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by joelsabi

if this was a carry over tag issue this would be a 1990 Pete Rose jersey which we all know he was managing anymore.

meant WASNT
        Regards,
        Joel S.
        joelsabi @ gmail.com
        Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• commando
          • Nov 2007

The Scoreboard Rose jerseys were not marketed as heavily as most of their others during that time (Bo Jackson, Will Clark, Nolan Ryan, etc...) I'd love to hear Ken comment on the timing of the Rose deal. I have a suspicion that the whole gambling thing went down pretty soon after the Scoreboard inked their deal with Rose. Regardless, Scoreboard print ads ran the Rose jersey for a very short period of time. It is of course possible that the Rose jerseys were sold through some medium other than print ads.

All we DO know is that these Rose jerseys show up today much less frequently than the Scoreboard Bos, Wills and Nolans. If the Rose jersey in question does indeed turn out to be a Scoreboard, I can see how authenticators could have made a mistake on this one.

Here are two Scoreboard ads for their Rose jersey. The photos Scoreboard used are poor in quality compared to all the other photos in the very same ads.... for whatever reason.

I look forward to hearing what Ken himself has to say about it.
          Attached Files
          sigpic
          Anthony Nunez
          Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
          www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Comment

• trsent
            Banned
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by suave1477
            I cant believe im gonna do this again. But I actually agree with TRSENT!!
            Dinner and a movie next time you agree with me.

Comment

• tacprc
              • Apr 2008

Fyi, I have an old hard copy printout from eBay showing the front and back of a 1989 Manny Trillo Reds home jersey: number 9, Rawlings size 41, Set 1 1989. He was released by the Reds on May 25, 1989.

The jersey is similar to the Lenny Harris jersey that I posted earlier. The tag is the same style -- which does not match the Rose (eBay) or O'Neill (Reds HOF) jerseys. And to me eye the logo, letter, and number sizes match the Rose jersey jersey on eBay.

Comment

• CollectGU
                • Nov 2005

Tacprc, I just realized that is is your jersey on ebay?

Dave

Comment

• tacprc
                  • Apr 2008

Was, until recently. So, yes, I am especially interested in finding out the truth.

Comment

• trsent
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by tacprc
                    Was, until recently. So, yes, I am especially interested in finding out the truth.
                    Ok, so you are Chuck Lumb who Dave Miedema originally wrote the second letter for and you wrote the third letter. Sorry about the findings of this jersey, but it's history is understandable. Now it's obvious the jersey is not what it originally was believed to be. Just rotten luck that time helped discover.

You can keep trying to dig up findings, but I have looked at this and I have consulted others in the industry who cannot believe this discussion has gone on so long because the jersey is a classic Scoreboard model jersey and it is fully understandable why the jersey was mis-identified over the years.

Comment

• tacprc
                      • Apr 2008

We'll see. Ken Goldin should post photos early next week.

Comment

• trsent
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2005

We'll see. Ken Goldin should post photos early next week.
                        It doesn't matter what Ken posts, but if it makes you feel better about it that is your choice. The jersey has too many red flags that have been discussed in this discussion and pulling strings is not going to make this jersey game used which it never was.

Comment

• tacprc
                          • Apr 2008

This jersey was Lot Number 1371 in the Lelands auction that ended 14-Dec-03. It appears to resemble the American Memorabilia jersey in terms of the sizes of the letters, numbers, and Reds emblem on the front and back.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• tacprc
                            • Apr 2008

This jersey was Lot Number 1085 in the June 2006 Mastro/Legendary auction. It appears to resemble the eBay jersey in terms of the sizes of the letters, numbers, and Reds emblem on the front and back. It came with an LOA from Dave Bushing & Troy Kinunen/MEARS.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• joelsabi
                              • Aug 2005

This jersey was Lot Number 1085 in the June 2006 Mastro/Legendary auction. It appears to resemble the eBay jersey in terms of the sizes of the letters, numbers, and Reds emblem on the front and back. It came with an LOA from Dave Bushing & Troy Kinunen/MEARS.
                              Pretty sure it received a A5 from Mears.
                              Regards,
                              Joel S.
                              joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• jppopma
                                • Mar 2006

Using the theory that Scoreboard in some other adds mentioned pro-cut tagging but they didn't in one ad for Pete Rose doesn't mean the jersey wasn't pro-cut. Hopefully someday one of these pops up for sale on eBay. That would be cool and end this discussion real fast.
                                Joel, You sell alot of pro-cut jerseys. I know you make certain that you indicate the tagging on the jersey as that is what makes it a pro-cut. Scoreboard would have done the same if they were marketing the Rose jerseys as a signed pro-cut. Scoreboard also sold autographed authentics and the Rose listing is worded much like those jerseys were described. I just don't see that the Rose Scoreboard add has much evidenciary value...that's all my theory is based on. JP

Comment

Working...