X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trsent
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Re: 1989 Pete Rose Gamer on ebay

This is even getting too confusing for me.

If your name is Joel you should just quit now, right? I'm game.

Comment

• joelsabi
      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by tacprc
      Sample? Just in this thread the Sheridan and O'Neill jerseys and possibly the Rose jersey on eBay.

Also, here is a post by mattmueller on 4-24-09 in one of your links.

"Just wanted to add to the 1990 style tagging used on some 1989 jerseys discussion above. Below is a photo of a 1989 Jay Aldrich Milwaukee Brewers jersey, which contains the 1990 style tag.

As an update by Rudy in a recent thread indicates, the tag style change appears to occured mid-year so late season callups may likely have the new tagging."

I searched all of Rudy's (kingjammy24) posts from just before 4-24-09 but couldn't find the exact one referenced by mattmueller. The last post that I can see from kingjammy24 is dated 4-06-09 due to the 500 post limit.
      I actually tried to locate the same post where Rudy changed his position. It would make perfect sense if the tag was introduced around 8/89. The road Sheridan is a perfect example and explain why a late traded players,beside late season callups, would have the rare tagging combination.

I just never saw Rudy comment to Matt's reply nor saw Rudy's post changing his stance in hid own thread. If someone finds that post please post it here or the Rawlings Tagging Thread. Thanks Tacprc.
      Regards,
      Joel S.
      joelsabi @ gmail.com
      Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• tacprc
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by joelsabi
        It would make perfect sense if the tag was introduced around 8/89. The road Sheridan is a perfect example and explain why a late traded players, beside late season callups, would have the rare tagging combination.
        Or even as early as June 1989 since Pat Sheridan was traded by the Detroit Tigers to the San Francisco Giants for Tracy Jones on June 16, 1989 per the Baseball Reference website.

Comment

• tacprc
          • Apr 2008

I checked Baseball Reference, and believe that Jay Aldrich first pitched for the Brewers in the 1989 season on May 23rd -- so that means the tag switch may have happened as early as May 1989 (or even the start of the regular season).

Comment

• tacprc
            • Apr 2008

Paul O'Neill was with the Reds from the start of the 1989 season. I note that his jersey has an extra length tag -- so maybe he asked for a new jersey after the start of the season.

Comment

• dougiedshow
              Super Moderator
              • Dec 2009

This debate so long, I don't even know if anyone has referenced these...

I'm sure this is zero help. Tagging is all over the board.

Comment

• KGoldin
                • Sep 2012

TEST

Originally posted by CollectGU
                http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Pete-Ro...item3cc9fb153d

I noticed the 1989 Pete Rose gamer on ebay with three LOA's appears to have the scoreboard tagging as opposed to the true 1989 tagging in that it is missing the 4th laundering instruction "Do not use in Automatic Dryer" and the incorrect numeral font on the size.

This link details a discussion on the tagging:

Does anyone have a 1989 gamer of a common player without the 4th laundering instruction?

Comment

• trsent
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by KGoldin
                  TEST
                  Welcome to the forum Ken! I'm glad they were able to get you finally approved.

Comment

• KGoldin
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by trsent
                    Welcome to the forum Ken! I'm glad they were able to get you finally approved.
                    WOW...ok, finally
                    Here is scoop. I am jammed up non stop for about another 48 hours trying to close the first Goldin Auctions catalog. Once that is done, I will come on here and do 2 things
                    1) I will post in this thread specfically on the Rose jersey
                    2) I will create a new 'score board jersey history and Q&A' thread...

but i do not have time to do all this second, and certainly do not have time to respond so let me get the work here complete, send the catalog to printer, then i am the forums.
                    glad to be here, glad to help
                    ken

Comment

• KGoldin
                      • Sep 2012

Hi All
                      I am still buried trying to close the catalog, but at least wanted to post this. I will answer any additional questions early next week when i am sure i will be freed up

1. Score Board did have 1989 pete Rose jerseys signed. Home , white tagged jerseys. i do NOT believe these were sold on CVN the night he was banned (because about 500 were sold that night, and they were too cheap..the raw jerseys to get made up with full tagging cost between $75-$100 depending on team, if i remember accurately.)
                      Pete made appearances for Score board on the smaller (at the time) QVC in sept 11 1990 to commemorate his 15 year anniversary of the hit, and they likely were sold on that show on that date.

2. I have not looked carefully at the EBAY rose jersey referenced here, been too busy. I therefore do not have an opinion on it. I also am not one who usually gives opinions on items, especially an 89-91 jersey 'Score board or game used' without looking at it in person, because while I would be excellent looking at it in person, i hate to look at internet photos and get something incorrect or speculate as it is unfair to the potential buyer and/or seller. The exception to this rule will be in cases where someone is selling something as a score board item, and i know for a fact it could not. I do happen to remember the terms and most all items signed under every major contract the company had.

3. I did not find a sample of Rose at my house, although i did a bunch of others from the time period I will post at some point hopefully next week.

I hope this helps , and I am glad to finally have an activated account here.
                      Ken Goldin
                      www.goldinauctions.com

Comment

• tacprc
                        • Apr 2008

Ken, Thanks for your comments. I wanted to mention that Pete Rose served a five-month prison sentence for tax evasion beginning 8-Aug-90 so he could not have appeared on QVC precisely on 11-Sep-90. Perhaps he appeared a bit earlier or later.

Also, I did some Google searches and found a Score Board contract in which Rose agreed to appear on QVC on 23-Jun-93 and 24-Jun-93 for three hours each day.

Comment

• tacprc
                          • Apr 2008

I did some Google searches and found what I think are two Score Board Pete Rose jerseys. Please note that the Rawlings tag appears on the tail front and has no year tag. Plus the tag stitching differs from that of both the eBay and American Memorabilia Rose jerseys.

Comment

• KGoldin
                            • Sep 2012

yeah, Pete did so many appearances for SB back in those dates i could be a few months off on date. Plus he hosted a weekly TV show with him and Barry Didinsky as co hosts (for SB) , filmed in baltimore that was a syndicated sales show where his stuff was also sold

Originally posted by tacprc
                            Ken, Thanks for your comments. I wanted to mention that Pete Rose served a five-month prison sentence for tax evasion beginning 8-Aug-90 so he could not have appeared on QVC precisely on 11-Sep-90. Perhaps he appeared a bit earlier or later.

Also, I did some Google searches and found a Score Board contract in which Rose agreed to appear on QVC on 23-Jun-93 and 24-Jun-93 for three hours each day.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...-contract-reds

Comment

Working...