Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: 1989 Pete Rose Gamer on ebay

Someone asked for a scan of a "common player" with the '90 tags in an '89 jersey so here you go- 1989 Pat Sheridan S.F. Giants road jersey. Sheridan was traded to the Giants by Detroit in June of 1989.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Great info. Lon. So, this shows that there are 89 jerseys that can have the 1990 tagging in them. Being a common confirms, that while not the norm, that they are out there tagged like the 90 jerseys...

Still hoping someone can proviode insight on the font size questions between the two 89' Rose gamers in the thread to verify which is correct...

And missing the "Made in USA" and fourth laundry instruction. Very interesting. The more time I have spent looking into jersey matters, the more I learn there are few if any absolutes pre-early 1990s at least.

Banned

Exclamation Re: 1989 Pete Rose Gamer on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by tacprc View Post
    Dave, Let's say that the Reds or Rose ordered more jerseys in the middle of the 1989 season because he had given away most of the initial order. Is it possible that those jerseys would have had the later tagging? Thx.
    Given the timing of the Sheridan shirt's initial usage that was shown, I could see it as a possibility.

Dave M.

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Given the timing of the Sheridan shirt's initial usage that was shown, I could see it as a possibility.

Dave M.
    What about the the font and logo size. Which 1989 jersey is correct? The pitcure I posted appears to show the larger fonts as on the 1989 with the laundering instructions. Here is a photo of Ron Oester from 90 topps card (photo taken likely in 89) with the what appears to be larger logo like seen in the 1989 jersey I posted and different than the 89' on ebay. Did they wear two different size logos and numerals and NOB's in 1989?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post
    What about the the font and logo size. Which 1989 jersey is correct? The pitcure I posted appears to show the larger fonts as on the 1989 with the laundering instructions. Here is a photo of Ron Oester from 90 topps card (photo taken likely in 89) with the what appears to be larger logo like seen in the 1989 jersey I posted and different than the 89' on ebay. Did they wear two different size logos and numerals and NOB's in 1989?
    No they didn't - Everyone is hoping they have found something here that there isn't. The Pete Rose jersey being discussed has no evidence of being game used/worn but a lot of evidence of being a Scoreboard style jersey.

Someone asked for proof Scoreboard had these jerseys - Ken Goldin, posting through someone else, said they did Pete Rose back then, but if that isn't proof enough, did you ever think that maybe Scoreboard wasn't the only company with access to order pro-cut style jerseys in this era? Who knows if they sold elsewhere to any other companies.

It doesn't matter - An error was made authenticating this jersey by three parties, one in 1994, one in 2000 and one in 2012. I will stand behind my comments, this jersey was not a game used jersey and I'm sorry people want to believe there is more to the story, but everyone involved should look at the history and the time and understand this jersey was authenticated in an honest error and that's all there is to it.

The fonts are wrong, the tagging is wrong, stating that Pete Rose ran out of jerseys and ordered extras mid-season is wishful thinking. I wish I wouldn't have blown two million dollars between 1999 and 2002, but I did and life goes on.

Here are pics of 1989 Lenny Harris Reds home jersey. He was traded by the Reds to the Dodgers on July 18, 1989.

To my eye the logo, letter, and number sizes match the Rose jersey on eBay, but I can't tell for sure.

I found a wire photo of Rose appearing on CVN on 23-Aug-89. It's hard to say whether the jersey back pictured more closely resembles the eBay one or the one sold by American Memorabilia -- or neither.

Here is the ad for the Scoreboard Pete Rose jerseys (you'll have to scroll down a bit):

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...eboard+jerseys

BTW Joel, sorry to read about your investment misfortune. Started out as a 3 cent stock. OUCH! I would've fired my stock broker as well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kudu View Post
    Here is the ad for the Scoreboard Pete Rose jerseys (you'll have to scroll down a bit):

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...eboard+jerseys

BTW Joel, sorry to read about your investment misfortune. Started out as a 3 cent stock. OUCH! I would've fired my stock broker as well.
    Yeah, like I need to remember that missed investment while investing in the future that all went belly up!

Here is the image from the page, good find since some people still doubted if Scoreboard made these jerseys even after Ken Golden's comments!

Name:  sbrosejersey.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  154.9 KB

In other news on this topic, a well known former forum member who I used to argue with all the time emailed me and told me he couldn't believe that I was the only one who got it and people were still trying to justify this jersey as possibly being game used.

I'm not trying to rub it in anyone's face, but this jersey is not what it originally was believed to be and I'm sorry that I'm the only one who firmly mentions it on here and people are still trying to find images and proof that I am wrong.

When the original two letters of authenticity were written I can fully understand how the mistake was made - This jersey appeared to be a properly tagged game used jersey. Now we have all figured out the Scoreboard style of pro-cut game issued jerseys that were issued around the same era and have been, time and time again, attempted to be sold as game used. It is a fully understandable mistake.