Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Re: 1989 Pete Rose Gamer on ebay

The 1989 O'Neill Reds home jersey has three lines of washing instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by tacprc View Post
    The 1989 O'Neill Reds home jersey has three lines of washing instructions.
    So this jersey has a 1990 jersey tag with a 1989 flag tag. Since a jersey cannot exist prior to the year the jersey tag was introduced, my only logical conclusion is that the jersey was from 1990. The jersey should speak for itself regardless of what some curator told you and I can understand why the curator would think it was from 1989 with a 1989 flag tag staring at hime. However, I have to go with Rudy's findings as he has studied so many Rawlings tags from this time period. The tags on the O'Neil jersey look very clean by the way.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    So this jersey has a 1990 jersey tag with a 1989 flag tag. Since a jersey cannot exist prior to the year the jersey tag was introduced, my only logical conclusion is that the jersey was from 1990. The jersey should speak for itself regardless of what some curator told you and I can understand why the curator would think it was from 1989 with a 1989 flag tag staring at hime. However, I have to go with Rudy's findings as he has studied so many Rawlings tags from this time period. The tags on the O'Neil jersey look very clean by the way.
    Ummm, No. Rather what some thought was 1990 tagging does appear in 1989 jerseys.

Ummm, No. Rather what some thought was 1990 tagging does appear in 1989 jerseys.
    and what is your sampling to come up with that conclusion?

i wont post again as we differ in opinion.

just a food for thought:
    http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...light=rawlings

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...41&postcount=8
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Sample? Just in this thread the Sheridan and O'Neill jerseys and possibly the Rose jersey on eBay.

Also, here is a post by mattmueller on 4-24-09 in one of your links.

"Just wanted to add to the 1990 style tagging used on some 1989 jerseys discussion above. Below is a photo of a 1989 Jay Aldrich Milwaukee Brewers jersey, which contains the 1990 style tag.

As an update by Rudy in a recent thread indicates, the tag style change appears to occured mid-year so late season callups may likely have the new tagging."

I searched all of Rudy's (kingjammy24) posts from just before 4-24-09 but couldn't find the exact one referenced by mattmueller. The last post that I can see from kingjammy24 is dated 4-06-09 due to the 500 post limit.

Banned

This is even getting too confusing for me.

If your name is Joel you should just quit now, right? I'm game.

Sample? Just in this thread the Sheridan and O'Neill jerseys and possibly the Rose jersey on eBay.

Also, here is a post by mattmueller on 4-24-09 in one of your links.

"Just wanted to add to the 1990 style tagging used on some 1989 jerseys discussion above. Below is a photo of a 1989 Jay Aldrich Milwaukee Brewers jersey, which contains the 1990 style tag.

As an update by Rudy in a recent thread indicates, the tag style change appears to occured mid-year so late season callups may likely have the new tagging."

I searched all of Rudy's (kingjammy24) posts from just before 4-24-09 but couldn't find the exact one referenced by mattmueller. The last post that I can see from kingjammy24 is dated 4-06-09 due to the 500 post limit.
    I actually tried to locate the same post where Rudy changed his position. It would make perfect sense if the tag was introduced around 8/89. The road Sheridan is a perfect example and explain why a late traded players,beside late season callups, would have the rare tagging combination.

I just never saw Rudy comment to Matt's reply nor saw Rudy's post changing his stance in hid own thread. If someone finds that post please post it here or the Rawlings Tagging Thread. Thanks Tacprc.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    It would make perfect sense if the tag was introduced around 8/89. The road Sheridan is a perfect example and explain why a late traded players, beside late season callups, would have the rare tagging combination.
    Or even as early as June 1989 since Pat Sheridan was traded by the Detroit Tigers to the San Francisco Giants for Tracy Jones on June 16, 1989 per the Baseball Reference website.

I checked Baseball Reference, and believe that Jay Aldrich first pitched for the Brewers in the 1989 season on May 23rd -- so that means the tag switch may have happened as early as May 1989 (or even the start of the regular season).

Paul O'Neill was with the Reds from the start of the 1989 season. I note that his jersey has an extra length tag -- so maybe he asked for a new jersey after the start of the season.