Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: 1989 Pete Rose Gamer on ebay

OK. That's one piece of the puzzle. Thanks for that.

Next, I'd like to see a picture of the tag from a Rose Score Board jersey. I have been communicating with Ken Goldin via email, and he thinks that he still has a Rose jersey. When he gets a chance, he will search and then take pictures.

I'd also like to see pictures of some more 1989 Reds home jerseys. To my eye (and I could be wrong) the Lenny Harris jersey has the same font sizes as the Rose jersey on eBay. I searched eBay and my Pete Rose collection for 1989 Reds news photos but didn't see any that clearly showed a jersey back.

p.s. I am not interested in proving anybody right or wrong. From what I've read, I gather that some of you have been on this Score Board trail for a long time and I salute your discoveries, but I don't think the facts are conclusive as regards the eBay jersey (or the American Memorabilia jersey). By the way both Lelands and Legendary have sold a 1989 Rose home jersey within the past ten years, but the auction listings don't show the Rawlings tags.

I found a picture of the tags from a 1989 Paul O'Neill Reds home jersey, and I believe that it matches the Rose on eBay! I am sorry for the bad picture quality. I snapped it at the Reds Hall of Fame with a pocket camera. Four years ago the curator allowed me to review all their jerseys, and this was the only 1989 home.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    In other news on this topic, a well known former forum member who I used to argue with all the time emailed me and told me he couldn't believe that I was the only one who got it and people were still trying to justify this jersey as possibly being game used.

I'm not trying to rub it in anyone's face, but this jersey is not what it originally was believed to be and I'm sorry that I'm the only one who firmly mentions it on here and people are still trying to find images and proof that I am wrong.

When the original two letters of authenticity were written I can fully understand how the mistake was made - This jersey appeared to be a properly tagged game used jersey. Now we have all figured out the Scoreboard style of pro-cut game issued jerseys that were issued around the same era and have been, time and time again, attempted to be sold as game used. It is a fully understandable mistake.

I am agreeing with Joel. After seeing the scoreboard advertisement, how the fonts and numbers in back perfectly match up with the ad, and that it is signed in blue sharpie as the ad mentions, I don't think this would pass authentication as game worn Pete Rose jersey knowing that scorebaord had these available.

I'm wondering based on all this if Dave is still standing behind the LOA. He stated that until he saw proof that Rose was a scoreboard participant, he stood by his call. Proof has been provided. Will he now be rescinding the LOA?

Dave

I can't say for sure on the legitimacy of the jersey, but will caution that the one offered for sale is not the same as in the scoreboard ad.

The ad makes no mention of any tagging, which had always been one of Scoreboard's trademark selling points (they did sell autographed authentics on top of their "Scoreboard" jerseys). If the Rose in the ad had a tag, they would have more certainly included that in the description.

It will all come down to how much of a risk someone might be willing to take on this jersey.

Banned

Re: 1989 Pete Rose Gamer on eBay

Really? Really?

Really?

(Trying to quote The Miz, poorly so)

Keep trying to justify this jersey folks. I'll take the don't and y'all can keep dreaming something is what it will never be found to be.

Using the theory that Scoreboard in some other adds mentioned pro-cut tagging but they didn't in one ad for Pete Rose doesn't mean the jersey wasn't pro-cut. Hopefully someday one of these pops up for sale on eBay. That would be cool and end this discussion real fast.

Banned

Really? Really?

Really?

(Trying to quote The Miz, poorly so)

Keep trying to justify this jersey folks. I'll take the don't and y'all can keep dreaming something is what it will never be found to be.

Using the theory that Scoreboard in some other adds mentioned pro-cut tagging but they didn't in one ad for Pete Rose doesn't mean the jersey wasn't pro-cut. Hopefully someday one of these pops up for sale on eBay. That would be cool and end this discussion real fast.
    I cant believe im gonna do this again. But I actually agree with TRSENT!!

Someone asked for proof Scoreboard had these jerseys - Ken Goldin, posting through someone else, said they did Pete Rose back then, but if that isn't proof enough, did you ever think that maybe Scoreboard wasn't the only company with access to order pro-cut style jerseys in this era? Who knows if they sold elsewhere to any other companies.
    this could well be jersey special ordered for a Reds charity event and were intentionally tagged with mismatched tags by Rawlings to differentiate from a team issued jersey. Reminds me of Rawlings made a small modification for promo gloves given to UDA.

if this was a carry over tag issue this would be a 1990 Pete Rose jersey which we all know he was managing anymore.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post

if this was a carry over tag issue this would be a 1990 Pete Rose jersey which we all know he was managing anymore.

meant WASNT
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

The Scoreboard Rose jerseys were not marketed as heavily as most of their others during that time (Bo Jackson, Will Clark, Nolan Ryan, etc...) I'd love to hear Ken comment on the timing of the Rose deal. I have a suspicion that the whole gambling thing went down pretty soon after the Scoreboard inked their deal with Rose. Regardless, Scoreboard print ads ran the Rose jersey for a very short period of time. It is of course possible that the Rose jerseys were sold through some medium other than print ads.

All we DO know is that these Rose jerseys show up today much less frequently than the Scoreboard Bos, Wills and Nolans. If the Rose jersey in question does indeed turn out to be a Scoreboard, I can see how authenticators could have made a mistake on this one.

Here are two Scoreboard ads for their Rose jersey. The photos Scoreboard used are poor in quality compared to all the other photos in the very same ads.... for whatever reason.

I look forward to hearing what Ken himself has to say about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    I cant believe im gonna do this again. But I actually agree with TRSENT!!
    Dinner and a movie next time you agree with me.