Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lon lewis
    • Sep 2006

Re: 1989 Pete Rose Gamer on ebay

Someone asked for a scan of a "common player" with the '90 tags in an '89 jersey so here you go- 1989 Pat Sheridan S.F. Giants road jersey. Sheridan was traded to the Giants by Detroit in June of 1989.
    Attached Files

Comment

• CollectGU
      • Nov 2005

Great info. Lon. So, this shows that there are 89 jerseys that can have the 1990 tagging in them. Being a common confirms, that while not the norm, that they are out there tagged like the 90 jerseys...

Still hoping someone can proviode insight on the font size questions between the two 89' Rose gamers in the thread to verify which is correct...

Comment

• esquiresports
        • Mar 2012

And missing the "Made in USA" and fourth laundry instruction. Very interesting. The more time I have spent looking into jersey matters, the more I learn there are few if any absolutes pre-early 1990s at least.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
          Banned
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by tacprc
          Dave, Let's say that the Reds or Rose ordered more jerseys in the middle of the 1989 season because he had given away most of the initial order. Is it possible that those jerseys would have had the later tagging? Thx.
          Given the timing of the Sheridan shirt's initial usage that was shown, I could see it as a possibility.

Dave M.

Comment

• CollectGU
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by sox83cubs84
            Given the timing of the Sheridan shirt's initial usage that was shown, I could see it as a possibility.

Dave M.
            What about the the font and logo size. Which 1989 jersey is correct? The pitcure I posted appears to show the larger fonts as on the 1989 with the laundering instructions. Here is a photo of Ron Oester from 90 topps card (photo taken likely in 89) with the what appears to be larger logo like seen in the 1989 jersey I posted and different than the 89' on ebay. Did they wear two different size logos and numerals and NOB's in 1989?

Comment

• trsent
              Banned
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by CollectGU
              What about the the font and logo size. Which 1989 jersey is correct? The pitcure I posted appears to show the larger fonts as on the 1989 with the laundering instructions. Here is a photo of Ron Oester from 90 topps card (photo taken likely in 89) with the what appears to be larger logo like seen in the 1989 jersey I posted and different than the 89' on ebay. Did they wear two different size logos and numerals and NOB's in 1989?
              No they didn't - Everyone is hoping they have found something here that there isn't. The Pete Rose jersey being discussed has no evidence of being game used/worn but a lot of evidence of being a Scoreboard style jersey.

Someone asked for proof Scoreboard had these jerseys - Ken Goldin, posting through someone else, said they did Pete Rose back then, but if that isn't proof enough, did you ever think that maybe Scoreboard wasn't the only company with access to order pro-cut style jerseys in this era? Who knows if they sold elsewhere to any other companies.

It doesn't matter - An error was made authenticating this jersey by three parties, one in 1994, one in 2000 and one in 2012. I will stand behind my comments, this jersey was not a game used jersey and I'm sorry people want to believe there is more to the story, but everyone involved should look at the history and the time and understand this jersey was authenticated in an honest error and that's all there is to it.

The fonts are wrong, the tagging is wrong, stating that Pete Rose ran out of jerseys and ordered extras mid-season is wishful thinking. I wish I wouldn't have blown two million dollars between 1999 and 2002, but I did and life goes on.

Comment

• tacprc
                • Apr 2008

Here are pics of 1989 Lenny Harris Reds home jersey. He was traded by the Reds to the Dodgers on July 18, 1989.

To my eye the logo, letter, and number sizes match the Rose jersey on eBay, but I can't tell for sure.
                Attached Files

Comment

• tacprc
                  • Apr 2008

I found a wire photo of Rose appearing on CVN on 23-Aug-89. It's hard to say whether the jersey back pictured more closely resembles the eBay one or the one sold by American Memorabilia -- or neither.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• kudu
                    • May 2007

Here is the ad for the Scoreboard Pete Rose jerseys (you'll have to scroll down a bit):

BTW Joel, sorry to read about your investment misfortune. Started out as a 3 cent stock. OUCH! I would've fired my stock broker as well.

Comment

• trsent
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by kudu
                      Here is the ad for the Scoreboard Pete Rose jerseys (you'll have to scroll down a bit):

BTW Joel, sorry to read about your investment misfortune. Started out as a 3 cent stock. OUCH! I would've fired my stock broker as well.
                      Yeah, like I need to remember that missed investment while investing in the future that all went belly up!

Here is the image from the page, good find since some people still doubted if Scoreboard made these jerseys even after Ken Golden's comments!

Click image for larger version

Name:	sbrosejersey.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	685665

In other news on this topic, a well known former forum member who I used to argue with all the time emailed me and told me he couldn't believe that I was the only one who got it and people were still trying to justify this jersey as possibly being game used.

I'm not trying to rub it in anyone's face, but this jersey is not what it originally was believed to be and I'm sorry that I'm the only one who firmly mentions it on here and people are still trying to find images and proof that I am wrong.

When the original two letters of authenticity were written I can fully understand how the mistake was made - This jersey appeared to be a properly tagged game used jersey. Now we have all figured out the Scoreboard style of pro-cut game issued jerseys that were issued around the same era and have been, time and time again, attempted to be sold as game used. It is a fully understandable mistake.

Comment

• tacprc
                        • Apr 2008

OK. That's one piece of the puzzle. Thanks for that.

Next, I'd like to see a picture of the tag from a Rose Score Board jersey. I have been communicating with Ken Goldin via email, and he thinks that he still has a Rose jersey. When he gets a chance, he will search and then take pictures.

I'd also like to see pictures of some more 1989 Reds home jerseys. To my eye (and I could be wrong) the Lenny Harris jersey has the same font sizes as the Rose jersey on eBay. I searched eBay and my Pete Rose collection for 1989 Reds news photos but didn't see any that clearly showed a jersey back.

p.s. I am not interested in proving anybody right or wrong. From what I've read, I gather that some of you have been on this Score Board trail for a long time and I salute your discoveries, but I don't think the facts are conclusive as regards the eBay jersey (or the American Memorabilia jersey). By the way both Lelands and Legendary have sold a 1989 Rose home jersey within the past ten years, but the auction listings don't show the Rawlings tags.

Comment

• tacprc
                          • Apr 2008

I found a picture of the tags from a 1989 Paul O'Neill Reds home jersey, and I believe that it matches the Rose on eBay! I am sorry for the bad picture quality. I snapped it at the Reds Hall of Fame with a pocket camera. Four years ago the curator allowed me to review all their jerseys, and this was the only 1989 home.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• CollectGU
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by trsent
                            In other news on this topic, a well known former forum member who I used to argue with all the time emailed me and told me he couldn't believe that I was the only one who got it and people were still trying to justify this jersey as possibly being game used.

I'm not trying to rub it in anyone's face, but this jersey is not what it originally was believed to be and I'm sorry that I'm the only one who firmly mentions it on here and people are still trying to find images and proof that I am wrong.

When the original two letters of authenticity were written I can fully understand how the mistake was made - This jersey appeared to be a properly tagged game used jersey. Now we have all figured out the Scoreboard style of pro-cut game issued jerseys that were issued around the same era and have been, time and time again, attempted to be sold as game used. It is a fully understandable mistake.

I am agreeing with Joel. After seeing the scoreboard advertisement, how the fonts and numbers in back perfectly match up with the ad, and that it is signed in blue sharpie as the ad mentions, I don't think this would pass authentication as game worn Pete Rose jersey knowing that scorebaord had these available.

I'm wondering based on all this if Dave is still standing behind the LOA. He stated that until he saw proof that Rose was a scoreboard participant, he stood by his call. Proof has been provided. Will he now be rescinding the LOA?

Dave

Comment

• jppopma
                              • Mar 2006

I can't say for sure on the legitimacy of the jersey, but will caution that the one offered for sale is not the same as in the scoreboard ad.

The ad makes no mention of any tagging, which had always been one of Scoreboard's trademark selling points (they did sell autographed authentics on top of their "Scoreboard" jerseys). If the Rose in the ad had a tag, they would have more certainly included that in the description.

It will all come down to how much of a risk someone might be willing to take on this jersey.

Comment

• trsent
                                Banned
                                • Nov 2005

Re: 1989 Pete Rose Gamer on eBay

Really? Really?

Really?

(Trying to quote The Miz, poorly so)

Keep trying to justify this jersey folks. I'll take the don't and y'all can keep dreaming something is what it will never be found to be.

Using the theory that Scoreboard in some other adds mentioned pro-cut tagging but they didn't in one ad for Pete Rose doesn't mean the jersey wasn't pro-cut. Hopefully someday one of these pops up for sale on eBay. That would be cool and end this discussion real fast.

Comment

Working...