Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Re: What do I look for in a Jeter game used bat?

Well first I would say its hard to tell the actual use unless the seller provides better pics to you. From the pics it doesnt look like much use. I will say the price seems a bit outrageous but I havent followed the pricing value of Jeter bats in a couple of years so maybe they have gone up alot and I didnt know about it. Last time I saw Jeter bats were at average $1,500 and on there way up. So $7,000 sounds a bit much.

His story could very well be true of meeting Jeter and having him sign the bat. Unfortunately you will never know because there is no correspodning number from the card and the bat

Its great the bat is from his 3000 season but that doesnt mean he got a hit with this bat. Not for nothing since this bat shows little use maybe Jeter didnt get any hits with it and didnt want too use it anymore, who knows??

Well I must say I just took a look around and saw Steiner has a cracked Jeter bat for $4,000 , my how times have changed

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    Well first I would say its hard to tell the actual use unless the seller provides better pics to you. From the pics it doesnt look like much use. I will say the price seems a bit outrageous but I havent followed the pricing value of Jeter bats in a couple of years so maybe they have gone up alot and I didnt know about it. Last time I saw Jeter bats were at average $1,500 and on there way up. So $7,000 sounds a bit much.

His story could very well be true of meeting Jeter and having him sign the bat. Unfortunately you will never know because there is no correspodning number from the card and the bat

Its great the bat is from his 3000 season but that doesnt mean he got a hit with this bat. Not for nothing since this bat shows little use maybe Jeter didnt get any hits with it and didnt want too use it anymore, who knows??

Well I must say I just took a look around and saw Steiner has a cracked Jeter bat for $4,000 , my how times have changed
    This is the first time I'm having interest in a Jeter bat so I am not sure about the history of pricing. The current prices listed on Steiner's website range from $3,999 to $4,5000. Have any of you dealt with Steiner before and gotten a lower pricing on a Jeter bat or is the pricing firm?

Anyone here also owned a Jeter bat with Steiner cert that shows little use? Are they much less valuable than the ones with heavy use/mota?

Can some of you also tell me about what I should look for at the bottom of the knob? Does Jeter write his number on there? I've also seen some knobs with engraved dates and some without.

Send me an email at TFig27@aol.com

I have a 2012 bat you may like
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TFig27 - NY Yankees Collector
    A. Boone - R. Cano - N. Swisher - T. Martinez - P. O'Neill - E. Hinske
    J. Damon - R. Brogna - D. Bragg - W. Upshaw - K. Farnsworth

A few comments to your many (good) questions from a long-time bat collector who has dealt with Steiner and tracked Jeter prices for years. Just my opinions...

First, Jeter bats have always been expensive, but have risen from $1500-$2000 7-8 years ago to over $3000 for a decent bat today. Top bats are far more, and our hobby assigns much higher prices to the top specimens versus an average bat.

Second, Steiner is very good and I have found them to be as reputable as this hobby gets in giving you actual game used items. However, nothing is as good as a MLB hologram. Technically "game used" can mean BP, spring training, etc to all these vendors, but a "game used" (not "game issued") MLB holo guarantees the bat was used (usually broken) in a regular season game. So most unauthenticated Jeter bats are worth less and a Steiner Jeter bat and a MLB holoed bat is the best.

As for use, I have seen a lot of lightly used Jeter bats, and suggest that you avoid them. Heavy use always improves value (until the bat has missing pieces!), and a good Jeter should have healthy mota stick and some deep seam impressions and use. The gorgeous Jeter bats you have seen posted here by forum members, are great examples of high-grade bats.

If I were buying a Jeter bat today, I would expect to pay around $3,000+ for a Steiner or MLB authenticated bat and I would expect to be patient (not days or weeks, but months or longer) to find the right one at a fair price. Paying $8K is just plain stupid unless it is a home-run bat and well-authenticated.

Lets get real here. Jeter is certainly a first ballot HOF player, but there is a HUGE inventory of his bats (good and bad) in the hobby, which to me means his values will not be getting to the Ted Williams ($15-20K+) value level or Mantle ($50K+). Maybe Mays at $6-8K is a comp, but the inventory of Mays or Aaron bats is FAR smaller so I wonder how Jeter bats will trade in 10 years. Thoughts?

Matt

Just saw you asked about the knobs on Jeter bats. I have never seen numbers on Jeter or Arod bats.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post

As for use, I have seen a lot of lightly used Jeter bats, and suggest that you avoid them. Heavy use always improves value (until the bat has missing pieces!), and a good Jeter should have healthy mota stick and some deep seam impressions and use. The gorgeous Jeter bats you have seen posted here by forum members, are great examples of high-grade bats.

If I were buying a Jeter bat today, I would expect to pay around $3,000+ for a Steiner or MLB authenticated bat and I would expect to be patient (not days or weeks, but months or longer) to find the right one at a fair price. Paying $8K is just plain stupid unless it is a home-run bat and well-authenticated.

Matt
    Thank you Matt and the rest here for your helpful feedback and knowledge on this subject. I feel more comfortable now researching Jeter bats and knowing more about the specifications on what to look for.

Regarding use, if you had the choice to choose between a light use bat from a milestone season, for example the 2011 game used bat I mentioned earlier, or a heavy use bat from a non-milestone season, say 2010 or 2006, which bat would collectors prefer?

Matt, do you also know why some Jeter game used bats display little use/mota? As another member mentioned, Jeter does make the most out of his bats. Are the bats with lighter use from Spring Training games and batting practice? Does Jeter mark these bats differently from his game used ones? Does Steiner distinguish between game used vs. batting practice like they do with jerseys/caps?

Since you've dealt with Steiner before, are their prices firm for Jeter bats regardless of use or would they discount the ones that exhibit less? Thanks.

Banned

A few comments to your many (good) questions from a long-time bat collector who has dealt with Steiner and tracked Jeter prices for years. Just my opinions...

First, Jeter bats have always been expensive, but have risen from $1500-$2000 7-8 years ago to over $3000 for a decent bat today. Top bats are far more, and our hobby assigns much higher prices to the top specimens versus an average bat.

Second, Steiner is very good and I have found them to be as reputable as this hobby gets in giving you actual game used items. However, nothing is as good as a MLB hologram. Technically "game used" can mean BP, spring training, etc to all these vendors, but a "game used" (not "game issued") MLB holo guarantees the bat was used (usually broken) in a regular season game. So most unauthenticated Jeter bats are worth less and a Steiner Jeter bat and a MLB holoed bat is the best.

Lets get real here. Jeter is certainly a first ballot HOF player, but there is a HUGE inventory of his bats (good and bad) in the hobby, which to me means his values will not be getting to the Ted Williams ($15-20K+) value level or Mantle ($50K+). Maybe Mays at $6-8K is a comp, but the inventory of Mays or Aaron bats is FAR smaller so I wonder how Jeter bats will trade in 10 years. Thoughts?

Matt
    You know what this was a great read.

Interstingly enough I would say your pretty accurate on the pricing. I would say it was probably in that same time frame maybe 5 to 8 years ago I was offered a Jeter bat for about $1,500 and stupid me at the time didn't really think it was worth it. But of course thats how the hobby goes. People you expect to become big, dont, and people you dont expect end up big, become stars.
    I was also offered a cracked Jeter bat during that same time for $500.

I am sure kicking myself now for passing on those, but at the same time I have never truly been a Jeter fan so I am not that upset either.

Matt

I think $50,000 plus is alot for a mantle unless its a world series or all-star bat. Most go around the $20,000.

I agree with Mat on the Jeter bats, I think he is spot on.

I've noticed lately that Jeter doesn't seem to put as much moto on as he used to, which gives them more of a light use look. You have to see the bat in person to judge actual use.

As far as Steiner negotiating prices, they usually do. It never hurts to ask.
    Chris

NY Giants, NY Yankees, Don Mattingly, Mattingly brand bats (any player)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    donnie23fan at yahoo.com