Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ethical question

Ok folks, I am new here and already have a dilemma. I sold a 1970's NFL jersey to a well known and reputable dealer a few years ago, and when I sold it to him it was in unused, mint shape. I just found that it was listed in a past auction (picked up an old catalogue) and it was sold with lots of repairs and wear. I am certain that it was the same jersey as due to several points mentioned in the auction. This item was obviosly doctored to appear as game worn to increase the value.

What do I do? Out the auctioneer here or forget it and treat it as a lesson learned?

Thanks

Re: Ethical question

Out them!

I say out them, too. Not because I like to bash people, but because I would want to know next time i deal with that particular dealer. The way I look at it, would I be able to sleep at night knowing others got burned when I could have stopped it?

I would suggest that you be very detail-oriented in the post, though. Provide the facts and your beliefs, but let the readers draw their own conclusions.

Ken

Just to clarify here: Are the dealer and the auctioneer one and the same? I think it's helpful for the hobby to be alerted to doctored jerseys. Do you happen to have a photo of the jersey before you sold it?

Sadly, I don't have any pics of the jersey in the original condition. I am 100% sure of the forgery however. I found it in a used clothing store, brought it to a major collectables show, put it up a friend's table and this dealer/acutioneer bought it immediately. My friend (also a part-time dealer) would vouch on the state of the item originally. I am hesitant to share details as this dealer/acutioneer is active on this site, and I am a newbie.

CJW - can you contact them first to discuss the item to ensure that what you are saying is accurate? It may be best to do that first before you post more info on the Forum about this........Jim

Thanks Jim...good idea. I will do that. I am not trying to raise eyebrows or stir up muck...this is just something that has come up and has caused me some concern. It has me looking at other pieces in my colection that I have purchased from this dealer and others.

Also, how can you be sure it's the same jersey? This is definitely a fascinating story, and one which should be completely explored before naming names.

If this is what you think it is, people should know. But you have have your facts first. Keep at it, get your answers, and let us know.
    Eric
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Quote Originally Posted by cjw View Post
    Ok folks, I am new here and already have a dilemma. I sold a 1970's NFL jersey to a well known and reputable dealer a few years ago, and when I sold it to him it was in unused, mint shape. I just found that it was listed in a past auction (picked up an old catalogue) and it was sold with lots of repairs and wear. I am certain that it was the same jersey as due to several points mentioned in the auction. This item was obviosly doctored to appear as game worn to increase the value.

What do I do? Out the auctioneer here or forget it and treat it as a lesson learned?

Thanks
    Hello Chris,

Thank you for asking this question before making any statements about the other party. Let me offer you a couple of things to consider:

For of all, this site exists, among other things, to help protect the collecting community from some of the dangers that exist in the market. In that regard, it would certainly help collectors to be aware of potential forgeries, etc.

However, please note that any accusations of forgery are very serious and should only be done in a responsible manner. I agree with others who have posted on this thread which recommend contacting the seller first to see what they have to say as well as verify the accuracy of your assumptions. If at that point you are convinced, it would certainly help other collectors to inform them about it.

Lastly, just to make sure you are clear regarding the poster's responsibility, please note the following disclaimer:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...read.php?t=100

Good luck with your due diligence and please keep us posted.

Sincerely,
    Christopher Cavalier
    CEO - Game Used Universe

If you are sure that it is the same jersey and that the auction house/dealer bought it directly from you, then I think that you should lay all the facts out, just the facts, and let the forum readers come to their own conclusions. If you call the dealer, I'm sure he will immediately spin it and dissuade you from posting here......

Dave