Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thoughts on COA's/LOA's vs Photomatches....

Hello all,

I just want to get your thoughts on the above. I have a guy who claims he is a collector, but that if an item doesn't have an LOA/COA then it is worthless (even with a photomatch).
    I have tried to explain that anyone can make a LOA/COA easier than doctoring an item and that there are plenty of COA's/LOA's that are erroneous!
    I just couldn't believe the ridiculousness of this individual!

Re: Thoughts on COA's/LOA's vs Photomatches....

If I could fake wear and doctor a jersey to look game worn, what would stop me from typing a letter claiming it was real?

Considering how many dealers have been outed as frauds, a photomatch is the only validation of authenticity
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

I know! This joker is messaging me because he wants an item I have but my price is high, so he proceeds to tell me my item is fake and not worth as much because there is no LOA/COA?! Even though I have photos matching the bat! Any way it's just funny.

I Collect mainly Football Jerseys of present day players and unfortunately I fall into the camp of your buyer. I will only collect Jerseys from a small handful of originators and rarely anything without a COA. I always try to match stains, logos, numbers etc. for further confirmation.

I also agree with the value argument. IMO, A present day football Jersey without paperwork seems to sell for at least 3x less than a well documented jersey.

I wasn't always like this.....I've just been screwed so many times by forgers its just the way it is now. Forgers also specialize in COAs so you need to be extra careful in viewing the paperwork.

That being said, you can't have It both ways by saying you are an interested buyer, but want it for less because it has no paperwork?

i think COA's are pretty worthless.......give me a photomatch any day
    WTB or Trade for LSU GU Jerseys and other LSU GU items email me at gaytorhater703@gmail.com

When I buy jerseys for my Bagwell collection, the first thing I do is look for a photomatch. If I can't find one, then I refrain from buying the shirt. However, if it had an Astros' team letter, that would factor into my decision but wouldn't be the deciding factor like a photomatch would. This is the case with my collecting Bagwell, who played from 1991 through 2005.

However, if I can get a jersey of a contemporary player, then the first thing I look for is MLB authentication. Yeah, it's not a 100 percent guarantee, but I feel pretty comfortable with items with both the issued and used MLB holograms. If it comes directly from the team, I have a great amount of trust in that. Such is the case with my Mariners' jerseys and hats.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Now that I think about it, I feel a bit differently about World Series jerseys. Although my Bagwell has a solid photomatch, I sure wish it had MLB Authentication as well. However, in this case, when given the choice between a photomatch and a hologram, I would take the former.

The hologram lends credence, but it's not the be-all and end-all. Especially if it's issued, since some teams added WS patches to all their jerseys. The Astros didn't do that, but still...I like what the Rangers did with their 2011 WS shirts. They tagged the ones with use as game used right after the game.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

People are more concerned about if an item has a coa or a hologram than the actual item. I concede that the need for holograms and coa's are ingrained in the community but the item in question should stand on its on, regardless of holograms or coa. Further, an item doesnt need a coa to be authentic. Many of the nicest jerseys i have seen didnt have a coa.

I know when I buy, COA's or LOA's are the last thing that I look at. Heck! one of my jerseys has no interior tag in it along with no COA or LOA. It is however the proper size for the player, has appropriate strip tag, consistent use and matched all day. Gives me complete confidence its 110% legit.

If you're talking a true photo match, how can that be topped? But I still think many collectors, dealers, etc. use the term 'photo match' when it's actually nothing more than a style match.

My girlfriend is Marisa Miller vs. my girlfriend looks similar to Marisa Miller. A wee bit of a difference.