Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dplettn
    • Dec 2010

Re: Fraudulent Houston Astros COA

I have limited knowledge of Chris, but had taken at face value from his self-representation that he tries to be “good” in our hobby. The risk to anybody is that when individuals choose to blend dealing with collecting they expose themselves to varied conflicts of interests. Depending on character, some people are more susceptible to do bad things motivated by conflicted interests. Rather than enterprising, we individuals should all just help others in our hobby without financial motive!

Whether considering this situation, or any other, I believe the hobby and its community are always served when people and teams make effort to transact directly rather than foster an array of small-scale enterprisers. I have never bought, sold, or traded items with Chris. Other than direct (teams), I’ve only purchased from people who have tired of items they had originally acquired for a prurient collecting purpose, and from trusted businesses who provide a trustworthy secondary market for folks. For me, an item is less desirable if it has ever been owned by certain uniquely motivated small scale enterprisers.

It is clear here that Mike Acosta of the Astros continues to do the right things, even in this situation. Hopefully, one fact for our community to focus on is that the Astros’ in-house stewardship of the game used segment has been favorable for years. I expect Mike Acosta and the Astros Game Used segment should continue to thrive.

For those who are Astros collectors, have confidence in anything you buy direct from Mike Acosta and the Astros organization. While his time is limited, Mike can be reached at macosta@astros.com.

Comment

• jppopma
      • Mar 2006

Very sad to see this kind of stuff going on.

I thank Chris for replying on here, but sadly the reply dances around the issue. I refuse to list all of the clues since I don't wish to create better liars, but one tell tale sign is the vagueness of the post.

Leaves all of us wondering if Chris got bad coa's from the "Patrick" seller (which would be odd as the Astros may not have issued a coa on the Oswalt), or photocopied/altered the legit coa that he got with the legit Oswalt jersey and mixed it up with the Oswalt that he gave to the original poster. We may never know what happened here...

Comment

• yanks12025
        • Jan 2006

I guess we should lower the selling limit over on CC, maybe $10 tops.

Comment

• mbenga28
          • Nov 2008

What legal actions, if any, can be taken against the seller?

Comment

• Klattsy
            • Aug 2010

Just a quick update on my purchase. It has been received at my US shipping address. Package wasn't opened as it was forwarded straight to me. Hope i'm getting what was sold to me. I have closed the paypal case.

Comment

• bagbig
              • Feb 2006

I really can't figure out two things:
              1. Why would any member of this forum ever buy something Chris Boyd?
              2. Why wouldn't the buyer press charges against Chris Boyd?

Comment

• eGameUsed
                Banned
                • Jan 2006

All,

I appreciate this forum and what it offers. The comments posted regarding me are deserved and expected knowing my past history. I see no sense in defending myself further. I will take the blame on this. I admitted I was naive on this transaction. Despite my knowledge in the actual equipment, I was not familiar with the LOAs. I should have caught this and asked questions sooner.

I too would not buy from me based on these postings . Good Luck in the hobby.

Thanks,

Comment

• karamaxjoe
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by eGameUsed
                  All,

I appreciate this forum and what it offers. The comments posted regarding me are deserved and expected knowing my past history. I see no sense in defending myself further. I will take the blame on this. I admitted I was naive on this transaction. Despite my knowledge in the actual equipment, I was not familiar with the LOAs. I should have caught this and asked questions sooner.

I too would not buy from me based on these postings . Good Luck in the hobby.

Thanks,

Bad Roy Oswalt jersey - $350.00
                  Copy of an LOA - Worthless
                  "I too would not buy from me based on these postings " - PRICELESS

Looks like Chris just told you all to go %@&* yourselves.......
                  Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
                  ~ Bill Veeck

sigpic

Comment

• tella27
                    • Jul 2011

He did - he has no issues with saying that he doctored items in the past but at the same time people continue to buy from the guy. Nothing short of kicking this guy off the forum will keep him from doing the same thing to someone else and them starting another egameused rip of thread...

Comment

• Preston
                      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by mbenga28
                      What legal actions, if any, can be taken against the seller?
                      Mail fraud for sure, most likely wire fraud too. He could be in some serious trouble if buyers were to really press the issue legally. no offense, I hope they do because regardless of me being (seemingly) the only one who didn't get burned by Chris, I'm ALL FOR cleaning up this hobby because that's exactly what this is - A HOBBY.

Dictionary.com defines hobby as: an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation: Preston's hobbies include game worn memorabilia collecting and photo editing. (OK so I edited the last sentence but you get the idea )

Comment

• hfd0035
                        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by bagbig
                        I really can't figure out two things:
                        1. Why would any member of this forum ever buy something Chris Boyd?
                        2. Why wouldn't the buyer press charges against Chris Boyd?
                        To tell you the truth Bag, I feel pretty dumb for buying and not doing my research. First off, I figured who would really want to have a negative post on this forum against them for other members to see? Secondly, lets be honest, it was an Astros Oswalt. I love the Astros and everything but I wasnt trying to land Biggio or Bagwell. And third, alcohol..... Checking the CC and emailing while drinking all day in a bar watching football probably wasnt helpful. Live and learn I guess. Research research research

Comment

• Stefano61
                          • Sep 2006

In 2010 I posted a thread to beware of Chris Boyd...he kept the bat I won and also tried to keep the money without answering my emails. Had to open an ebay dispute and, at the end, got my money back. Glad to see he has been finally exposed...

Comment

• rufusandherschel
                            • Mar 2011

This is a case (seller/dealer) beyond "Buyer beware", it's a case of "Buyer be Aware" !

Comment

• EurekaDave
                              • Sep 2005

I'm not apologizing for Chris Boyd. But he has posted that he screwed up and that he would not buy from himself. That kind of mea culpa is rare these days. so--buy or not from Chris. I just think that all that needs to be said has been said. Just my thought.

Dave Silverbrand

Comment

• slab0meat
                                • May 2010

Originally posted by EurekaDave
                                I'm not apologizing for Chris Boyd. But he has posted that he screwed up and that he would not buy from himself. That kind of mea culpa is rare these days. so--buy or not from Chris. I just think that all that needs to be said has been said. Just my thought.

Dave Silverbrand

True enough. However, if a seller ever said that he wouldn't buy from himself, I wouldn't either.

Comment

Working...