Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Possible 1986 Gooden Jersey

This jersey just sold on proxibid, I asked Dave M. about it and he mentioend that the sizing and tags looked good. I decided not to bid, but in looking at game photos from the playoffs it looks almost like a photo match. Any thoughts from the met experts.

Same auction also had a 1968 Pat Dobson jersey, but passed because it was a size 44 while another 1968 Dobson jersey sold in the past was size 42.

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDeta...01859#topoflot

Banned

Re: Possible 1986 Gooden Jersey

I am not a Mets expert but I am somewhat familiar with there items. One thing that sticks out to me is the nameplate. The Font letter looks to be a bit too thick. Almost like the mistake they always make when they try to fake Strawberry Jerseys and the "A" is always wrong.

If you look at photos of Gooden from 86 look at his name on the back the letters look somewhat thin.

My second thought is, if this was the real deal a 86 Gooden Jersey??? Would have sold for triple if not maybe even close to quadruple what it sold for - Thats a big red flag to me

Look at this Gooden Jersey looks like the name plate is too thick and too arched!!

http://www.milehighcardco.com/LotDet...me-Used-Jersey

Banned

Lightbulb Re: Possible 1986 Gooden Jersey

[quote=yanks12025;305885]This jersey just sold on proxibid, I asked Dave M. about it and he mentioend that the sizing and tags looked good. I decided not to bid, but in looking at game photos from the playoffs it looks almost like a photo match. Any thoughts from the met experts.

Same auction also had a 1968 Pat Dobson jersey, but passed because it was a size 44 while another 1968 Dobson jersey sold in the past was size 42.

On the Dobson, the sizing difference may be due to differing manufacturers. In the flannel and pre-1987 knit era. there were players that took one size biiger or smaller from one manufacturer than they did another when two or more suppliers provided the team with uniforms. The 1968 Tigers home were made by Wilson, while the roads were done by Rawlings.

Dave Miedema

Dave,
    They were both road jerseys, so both were Rawlings.

Suave,
    I noticed the name plate too, but thought that mets jerseys got recycled after the year?

OK... let's clear this one up...

The jersey is GOOD.

The nameplate is PERFECT (the Mets used this exact font on names smaller than 7 letters).

The 86 jerseys were NOT recycled.

Not only was this Gooden's jersey but it is a post-season home jersey, likely worn in the World Series as well.

$340 for this jersey is criminal. It has got to be worth $2K or even more.
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by TNTtoys View Post

The jersey is GOOD.

The nameplate is PERFECT (the Mets used this exact font on names smaller than 7 letters).

Not only was this Gooden's jersey but it is a post-season home jersey, likely worn in the World Series as well.

Well I'll be kicking myself now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TNTtoys View Post

The jersey is GOOD.

Nick thanks for straightening up the Font issue, I was not aware there was a difference in size depending on how many letters.

I do agree on the sold for price. That doesnt make sense

Well I think i had it matched to game 2 of the 1986 world series. Only thing that seemed off was the S in Mets. In the photo below it looks like you can see the pinstripe going threw the S but on the jersey it looks like the T touches the S and no pinstripe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dwight-Doc-G...item4d05e288b2

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    Nick thanks for straightening up the Font issue, I was not aware there was a difference in size depending on how many letters.

I do agree on the sold for price. That doesnt make sense
    I suppose the price makes sense being that it sold on a site that very few people have ever heard of before.
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Banned

I was thinking that too but then that brings up the next question. With such a potentially such a valuable jersey why wouldnt you take it to a more recognized auction place? I mean its not that hard to find one. Ebay at the very least would of brought in more money. Grey Flannel, Lelands, Huggins & Scott, etc.....