Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Hunter Pence hits a ball 3 times in 1 swing!

I' still trying to figure out how the barrel caught up with the moving ball. It looks like so much energy was sent up the bat in shattering that it slowed the bat the instant of impact and also caused the batter's grip to loosen, so the ball got only the momentum a bunt would've given it. But the follow-through continued to accelerate the bat and the handle straightened out, allowing it to catch up to the ball and hit it at a different angle, and thus confusing the fielder's reaction.

If my memory's correct, I think physicists say the ball-bat collision takes .001 seconds. I think commentators said the replay had 3000 frames/second, allowing it to see the collision. A human eye can't see it except for Ted Williams, who reportedly proved he could perceive the collision.

was watching the game with my two sons 8 & 6. they both were amazed as was I. They for some reason also thought it was one of the funniest things they had every seen

This has nothing to do with multiple contact, but more to do with what can be seen in super-slow motion. The small splinter of bat seems to be hitting his shirt with more impact than I would expect. It makes you realize how dangerous the larger shards are that fly through the infield sometimes.

FYI- the exact bat was sold at the game in the Giants memorabila shop for $400.

Thanks for all the info on that Pence bat, you guys. Naturally, I would love to have been at the game--or any play-off game. But TV technology (super slo-mo) has turned these series into something surreal -- the bat splintering, the rain falling--all that stuff makes being at home watching a real joy.

And on top of all that -- Joe Buck and Tim McCarver (the Fox guys) have redeemed themselves this year. Sounds like they're having a blast in the city-by-the-bay.

Dave Silverbrand

Here is an update. the bat was sold accidentally that same night for $400! Evidently the guy plans to get it back to hunter Pence, who said that he wants it. Crazy how fast that happened!

http://www.csnbayarea.com/baseball-s...65&feedID=2539

Quote Originally Posted by tknorm View Post
    Here is an update. the bat was sold accidentally that same night for $400! Evidently the guy plans to get it back to hunter Pence, who said that he wants it. Crazy how fast that happened!

http://www.csnbayarea.com/baseball-s...65&feedID=2539
    at least the Giant store knows how to strike while its hot. The store got the best the deal.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    at least the Giant store knows how to strike while its hot. The store got the best the deal.
    The buyer doesn't get his money back???
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    The story how the 10 potential buyers all put their name in a hat and 15 did the same for the ball and the same guy got picked for both is very cool.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500