Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Leaving hobby? Why?

I have seen lots of "leaving hobby" sales these days. I would to hear thoughts about your leaving. Just curious.

1. Maybe it's too expensive?
    2. Maybe too dishonest?
    3. Maybe the natural ebb and flow of interest?
    4. Maybe other family consideratons -- kids, debts, time...

I'm just curious.

Re: Leaving hobby? Why?

I believe all the reasons you posted are valid, and the top two reasons probably come into play more often than not.

The ones I find disturbing are when the person claims to be leaving the hobby, makes some sales and then starts posting brand new items again .

I think some people just get bored with it.

It just happened to me with modern baseball cards. They just became boring.

Saturation of market. Especially in baseball. Teams have increased the items that they put out each of the last few years and will keep doing so.

Exclamation Re: Leaving hobby? Why?

While I haven't left the hobby, if I jumped ship, my number one reason would be the competitiveness. I'm not against competition per se, but I find the fights and jealousy between collectors for a piece of used clothing to be insipid.

Compete over awards, compete over academics, compete over art. However, what's the point of getting all hung up about game used memorabilia? While I enjoy owning my jerseys, hats, and cleats, they are merely possessions.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    I find the fights and jealousy between collectors for a piece of used clothing to be insipid..... While I enjoy owning my jerseys, hats, and cleats, they are merely possessions.
    +1
    - CINCINNATI REDS/JOEY VOTTO BATS
    Email: rdeversole@gmail.com Twitter: @dugoutrelics

I think its b/c the market is getting over saturated these days. Every team knows what they have and are willing to make that buck so they all sell it. I also think the competetion is there too. Instead of people helping one another a lot of people hurt each other. I also believe that the expense is alot too. People have to pay top dollar for jerseys that don't deserve it.

For the most part we collect different things which is GREAT! I know there's another Titans collector on GUU (ALoving) but we're friends and we pass along info to each other. We help each other out. That's what it's supposed to be - A FUN HOBBY!

Yeah it can be expensive. Yeah it sucks when you have a drought and can't find anything for a while. Yeah things happen. But a collector is a collector.

Times change, people change, interests change, mortality starts to set in your thinking also, for the older collectors.

LB

Quote Originally Posted by kellsox View Post
    Saturation of market. Especially in baseball. Teams have increased the items that they put out each of the last few years and will keep doing so.
    I agree with you entirely...I too have recently sold off a huge amount of my collection. I did so for a few reasons, but the oversaturation was certainly one that made it much easier to part with items for me.
    "We need rebirth of the American tradition of leadership ... in private life as well." "'Trust me' government asks that we concentrate our hopes and dreams on one man; that we trust him to do what's best for us. My view of government places trust not in one person or one party, but in those values that transcend persons and parties. The trust is where it belongs--in the people." - Ronald Reagan"

http://www.freewebs.com/chrishwish/