Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Follow us on
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube My Space Blogger
Page 38 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Unhappy Re: Recent Deaths in the Sports World

Mel Farr, a solid player on the Detroit Lions from 1967-73, died August 3. He was 70.

Dave M.

Re: Recent Deaths in the Sports World

Jack Spring, whose major league pitching career ran from 1955-65, died Aug. 2. Spring saw most of his action with the Los Angeles Angels from 1961-63 and was a successful high school coach in his native Spokane after his playing career.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...prinja01.shtml

Frank Gifford, the star running back for the New York Giants and later flanker for YA Tittle died today. He was also a sports broadcaster on Monday Night Football.

Former NASCAR driver Buddy Baker, the first driver to hit 200MPH in a closed course, died August 10 of lung cancer. He was 74.

Dave M.

John Tillman "Bud" Thomas, who played in 14 games for the 1951 St. Louis Browns, died on August 15, 2015 in Sedalia, MO

Bud's claim to fame was that he was a participant in the infamous "Eddie Gaedel Game"

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=thomas011joh

IndyCar driver Justin Wilson died today (8/24) from head injuries suffered at a race at Pocono Speedway on Sunday. Wilson was hit in the head by a piece of flying debris. He was 37.

Dave M.

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    IndyCar driver Justin Wilson died today (8/24) from head injuries suffered at a race at Pocono Speedway on Sunday. Wilson was hit in the head by a piece of flying debris. He was 37.

Dave M.
    I attended the Pocono race on Sunday. You could tell in the announcer's voices at the racetrack that it was not a good thing and seeing the helicopter waiting to take off for at least 10 minutes after he was in the helicopter made it even worse. The race ending in caution is the way this race should have ended anyway.

On a side note, I attended the autograph session before the race and one of the driver's I got was Justin Wilson. I even remember him handing me the photo. I have never experienced that before where you get an autograph of someone and unofficially he dies 8 hours later (died the next day officially).

Exclamation Re: Recent Deaths in the Sports World

Chris78:

The closest I came to that was sending an autograph request to Steve Olin in spring training, and, upon our return from Florida, found the request in my mailbox, with both items signed, postmarked just hours before the fatal boat accident that killed Olin and Tim Crews and seriously injured Bob Ojeda.

Dave Miedema

Doc Daugherty, who played in 1 game for the 1951 Tigers (4/22), died Auguast 15th at age 87.

In his appearance, Daugherty was a pinch-hitter in a game against the White Sox, striking out in his only big league at bat.

Dave M.

Al Arbour, who coached the New York Islanders to a four-peat in Stanley Cup titles, died yesterday after a long illness. He was 82.

Arbour is the second winningest coach in NHL history, and was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1996.

Dave M.