Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Follow us on
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube My Space Blogger
Page 3 of 91 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Unhappy Re: Recent Deaths in the Sports World

From Baseball and Boxing:

Former Reds pitcher Frank Pastore, 55, died Monday of complications from injuries sustained in a motorcycle attack. Pastore pitched from 1978-85 with the Reds, going 13-7 with a 3.27 ERA in 1980. He spent one final year in 1986 pitching for the Twins.

Arnaldo Mesa, a bantamweight boxer from Cuba, died Monday at age 46. Mesa won a silver medal at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta.

Dave Miedema

Re: Recent Deaths in the Sports World

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    From Baseball and Boxing:

Former Reds pitcher Frank Pastore, 55, died Monday of complications from injuries sustained in a motorcycle attack. Pastore pitched from 1978-85 with the Reds, going 13-7 with a 3.27 ERA in 1980. He spent one final year in 1986 pitching for the Twins.

Arnaldo Mesa, a bantamweight boxer from Cuba, died Monday at age 46. Mesa won a silver medal at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta.

Dave Miedema
    Dave -

Not to make light of the deceased, but did you mean Motorcyle ACCIDENT or was he actually ATTACKED by or with a Motorcycle?

- Smitty

Red face Re: Recent Deaths in the Sports World

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Dave -

Not to make light of the deceased, but did you mean Motorcyle ACCIDENT or was he actually ATTACKED by or with a Motorcycle?

- Smitty
    I meant ACCIDENT. My brain fart...sorry.

Dave M.

Former Reds OF Ryan Freel passed away today at the age of 36 after an apparent suicide

RIP Ryan, you will be missed
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by chakes89 View Post
    Former Reds OF Ryan Freel passed away today at the age of 36 after an apparent suicide

RIP Ryan, you will be missed
    Poor guy. It's sad how rough things can be sometimes.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

RIP Freely

Two from football, one NCAA, 1 NFL:

Joe Krivak, the coach of the football team at the University of Maryland from 1987-91, died at age 77.

His time as a head coach was unremarkable, but before that he was a quarterbacks coach who tutored the likes of Boomer Esiason and Fran Reich.

Larry Morris, a linebacker who played predominantly for the Bears, died at age 79 due to complications from dementia.

Morris played for the Rams from 1955-57, and then, after missing a year, played for the Bears from 1959-65, winning the MVP Trophy for the 1963 NFL Championship Game in which the bears defeated the Giants. He finished up in 1966 as an inaugural year Atlanta Falcon.

Dave Miedema

Jerome Whitehead, who played for 6 NBA teams over 11 seasons, died at age 56 from a gastrointestinal hemhorrhage brought on by alcohol abuse.

Whitehaed was part of the 1978 Marquette Warriors NCAA BSKB Championship team. He was selected in that summer's draft by the San Diego Clippers. It was with the Clippers and the Golden State Warriors that he spent most of his career.

Dave Miedema

Brad Corbett - former owner of the Texas Rangers passed away on Christmas Eve.

Former-Texas-Rangers-Owner-Brad-Corbett-Dies-at-75

I met him once at a game when I was a kid and he bought my friend and I sodas and popcorn and had the ushers sit us down by the dugout in box seats!

- Smitty

Deaths of two pre-expansion short-term Major leaguers:

George O'Donnell, a pitcher for the 1954 pirates, passed away on December 19th at age 83. He was 3-9 with a 4.53 ERA in his only season.

Boyd Bartley, a wartime Brooklyn Dodger, died December 21st at age 92. He played for Dem Bums in 1943, appearing in 9 games wih one hit and one RBI.

Dave Miedema