Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coxfan
    • Feb 2009

Re: New sports game used forum

I totally support the general point that none of us should put down others' collecting interests. It's been said before that if we all collected the same things, it'd be too hard to get stuff. This site has taught me more useful info than any other source of which I'm aware.

Regarding the loss of some regular contributors: some of that is due to the natural attrition that affects every hobby. Interests and personal schedules change for all of us. That's why it's important to keep the site friendly for new contributors, even where they're novices.

Comment

• jppopma
      • Mar 2006

Just like any other market there needs to be a full range. Cars, houses, clothing...we all have our own taste and styles as to what is the best fit for us. We are a small community and should really get along much better.

Comment

• MarkakisMania
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by suave1477
        Godwulf I think you misinterpeted what the poster was speaking about. I don't think he was pointing out more novice collections being not to his liking but the fact that the more knowledgable veteran collectors are not interested in particpating anymore and he has a great point.

Yes I myself am always interested in hearing about the minor league bat handed over to a first time collector. But dont you ever find it interesting to find about the collector who has the Babe Ruth Game Used bat in his collection?
        Suave hit the nail right on the head and wins the prize. I have nothing against whatever anybody wants to collect be it $5.00 items or $50,000 items we need all in the hobby.

What I was getting at is that some of the most knowledgable collectors in this business that used to frequent this forum are long gone. I am good friends with a member who is not banned but has chosen to not post anymore and has not in several years. His statement to me is that he spent a great deal of time researching bad items for sale in the hobby and when posted on here nobody seemed to ever care. Those posts would get a couple of dozen views and everybody would go about their business.

As another poster mentioned everyone has his or her reasons to no longer post here or elsewhere. I am simply stating that many many knowledgable posters no longer come on here and in a number of cases it is not because they no longer have interest in the hobby they have their reasons among them being the site has become watered down to the point where the truly important issues of crime and deceit and bad items in this hobby do not seem to matter to a number of collectors and that is just very sad.

To each their own enjoy what you collect I am not trying to be some elitist by any means I just know that many of my friends in this hobby that really added a great deal of insight to this forum in the past will not come on here any longer some by personal decison and some due to various other reasons.

In terms of the Ruth collectors and guys at that level they also will not post on here largely for several reasons some of which involves protecting their own collections and not wanting to reveal the items they own at that level and I don't necessarily blame them. Other reasons also include again, the watered down level of the site.

Again collect what you enjoy but I think many people did not understand what I was getting at. Suave understood it and fully got it.

Jeb

Comment

• suave1477
          Banned
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by MarkakisMania
          Suave hit the nail right on the head and wins the prize. I have nothing against whatever anybody wants to collect be it $5.00 items or $50,000 items we need all in the hobby.

What I was getting at is that some of the most knowledgable collectors in this business that used to frequent this forum are long gone. I am good friends with a member who is not banned but has chosen to not post anymore and has not in several years. His statement to me is that he spent a great deal of time researching bad items for sale in the hobby and when posted on here nobody seemed to ever care. Those posts would get a couple of dozen views and everybody would go about their business.

As another poster mentioned everyone has his or her reasons to no longer post here or elsewhere. I am simply stating that many many knowledgable posters no longer come on here and in a number of cases it is not because they no longer have interest in the hobby they have their reasons among them being the site has become watered down to the point where the truly important issues of crime and deceit and bad items in this hobby do not seem to matter to a number of collectors and that is just very sad.

To each their own enjoy what you collect I am not trying to be some elitist by any means I just know that many of my friends in this hobby that really added a great deal of insight to this forum in the past will not come on here any longer some by personal decison and some due to various other reasons.

In terms of the Ruth collectors and guys at that level they also will not post on here largely for several reasons some of which involves protecting their own collections and not wanting to reveal the items they own at that level and I don't necessarily blame them. Other reasons also include again, the watered down level of the site.

Again collect what you enjoy but I think many people did not understand what I was getting at. Suave understood it and fully got it.

Jeb
          Yeah unfortunately Markakis thats the norm for this forum people try to read into things and then call you out on it even though they do not comprehend what was said.
          The funny part is even though I pointed out that the thread was misunderstood, people still went on about it and trying to take shots.

Reasons to love this forum you come here and get pelted with rocks!!

Comment

• trsent
            Banned
            • Nov 2005

I haven't read this whole discussion and I have not visited any new discussion forums, but I think the problem is people outside our community believe is why is a guy who buys $50.00 jerseys is going online and finding flaws with their $5000 - $50,000 jerseys.

It doesn't make sense, but I'm pretty sure that is the worries of those who attack this forum. If you believe only poor people should talk to poor people and rich should live in The Hampton's only with the rich, then you can accept this theory.

In reality, it is almost 2013 and the web is so huge these days and if a $50.00 jersey buyer takes the time to find that a $50,000 jersey is not genuine and he can save someone from making a bad buy, bravo for them and good for us. Isn't the goal of forums such as this to protect the innocent?

Comment

• sox83cubs84
              Banned
              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by trsent
              I haven't read this whole discussion and I have not visited any new discussion forums, but I think the problem is people outside our community believe is why is a guy who buys $50.00 jerseys is going online and finding flaws with their $5000 - $50,000 jerseys.

It doesn't make sense, but I'm pretty sure that is the worries of those who attack this forum. If you believe only poor people should talk to poor people and rich should live in The Hampton's only with the rich, then you can accept this theory.

In reality, it is almost 2013 and the web is so huge these days and if a $50.00 jersey buyer takes the time to find that a $50,000 jersey is not genuine and he can save someone from making a bad buy, bravo for them and good for us. Isn't the goal of forums such as this to protect the innocent?
              +1.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• jppopma
                • Mar 2006

Well said Joel! Many times it is the little details from that $50 jersey that shed the biggest clues on the fake $50,000 jersey.

Comment

Working...