Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New sports game used forum

Did anyone else get the emails or see the brand new sports forum that just popped up gameusedcollectors.com ???

I received a blast email from its two owners former game used forum members Steve Mears who was also known here as SuicideSqueeze and Bill Shubert inviting everybody to join up. Both members were banned from this forum and it looks like they decided to start their own.

Looks like a real winner from what I can see hopefully they will succeed in getting some actual serious game used discussions going on. This forum used to be great but the real serious knowledgable collectors are all either long gone or simply rarely if ever post any longer and we are left with posts on collecting game used shower sandals and $25.00 minor league broken in half bats.

I will be interested in seeing how this works for these guys.

Jeb

Re: New sports game used forum

Last post in GU Baseball - 2/12/2012
    Last post in GU Football - 2/6/2012
    Last post in the For Sale section - 3/13/2012
    There was a recent post in the wanted section... on 8/19/2012

Some of the site looks pretty nice. I think some of the navigation is a bit clunky and its not the easiest to read colors and font... Frankly unless they build some active membership, that forum looks to have little to offer.

For all the faults on this forum, it does at least have some regular activity, which is better than nothing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by CampWest View Post
    Last post in GU Baseball - 2/12/2012
    Last post in GU Football - 2/6/2012
    Last post in the For Sale section - 3/13/2012
    There was a recent post in the wanted section... on 8/19/2012

Some of the site looks pretty nice. I think some of the navigation is a bit clunky and its not the easiest to read colors and font... Frankly unless they build some active membership, that forum looks to have little to offer.

For all the faults on this forum, it does at least have some regular activity, which is better than nothing.

Wait, my bad I think it is gameusedcollector.com. The other one was started by another former forum member Edgard Latore about a year or so ago. This one is similar in name just no s on the end of collector.

Correct one is www.gameusedcollector.com

Sorry

Jeb

I haven't seen that one but despite having contact with only a handful of other forum members I enjoy this site a lot and have enjoyed the interaction and the information.

yeah, I was missing those "wanted: Bob Skube game used bats" ads.....

Quote Originally Posted by MarkakisMania View Post
    This forum used to be great but the real serious knowledgable collectors are all either long gone or simply rarely if ever post any longer and we are left with posts on collecting game used shower sandals and $25.00 minor league broken in half bats.
    This post has been in the back of my mind for a few days now, and I'm finally going to go ahead and comment on it. I'm sure it will earn me a few brickbats, maybe a +1 or so...or if might just be ignored. God knows that's happened before.

I get a real kick out of the collectors - and sometimes they're kids and sometimes not so much - whose focus is not necessarily on bats with four-figure price tags, pre-'50s baseball cards, or Hall of Fame autographs. They write about getting handed a cracked bat by a player on their local single-A team and they're EXCITED. They want to talk about it, and they want to get more into the GU hobby...and maybe they haven't got a huge budget to work with. Maybe a "$25.00 minor league broken in half bat" is all they can afford, and - at least at this point - all they're looking to collect.

Hey, if the other folks on a given forum are not discussing the kinds of things you want to hear or talk about, participation is not mandatory. Maybe I'm being a bit thin-skinned about this, but I just don't care for the dismissive and (IMHO) somewhat elitist tone of that remark.

No, I haven't been around GUU as long as some of you, but I've been here awhile - so I don't feel as though as I need to be shy in expressing my opinion on this topic. There is plenty of room in this hobby for a wide range of pertinent interests, but the one common denominator should be RESPECT.

We all, I guess, have set parameters on what we want or would allow in our collections, and those parameters might be based on any number of factors; I think it's important to remember that no one of us sets the boundaries for everyone. You may consider part (or all) of somebody else's collection to be trash; I would hope that if something I saw on this board caused me to have that thought, I'd have the good manners to keep it to myself.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    This post has been in the back of my mind for a few days now, and I'm finally going to go ahead and comment on it. I'm sure it will earn me a few brickbats, maybe a +1 or so...or if might just be ignored. God knows that's happened before.

I get a real kick out of the collectors - and sometimes they're kids and sometimes not so much - whose focus is not necessarily on bats with four-figure price tags, pre-'50s baseball cards, or Hall of Fame autographs. They write about getting handed a cracked bat by a player on their local single-A team and they're EXCITED. They want to talk about it, and they want to get more into the GU hobby...and maybe they haven't got a huge budget to work with. Maybe a "$25.00 minor league broken in half bat" is all they can afford, and - at least at this point - all they're looking to collect.

Hey, if the other folks on a given forum are not discussing the kinds of things you want to hear or talk about, participation is not mandatory. Maybe I'm being a bit thin-skinned about this, but I just don't care for the dismissive and (IMHO) somewhat elitist tone of that remark.

No, I haven't been around GUU as long as some of you, but I've been here awhile - so I don't feel as though as I need to be shy in expressing my opinion on this topic. There is plenty of room in this hobby for a wide range of pertinent interests, but the one common denominator should be RESPECT.

We all, I guess, have set parameters on what we want or would allow in our collections, and those parameters might be based on any number of factors; I think it's important to remember that no one of us sets the boundaries for everyone. You may consider part (or all) of somebody else's collection to be trash; I would hope that if something I saw on this board caused me to have that thought, I'd have the good manners to keep it to myself.
    Godwulf I think you misinterpeted what the poster was speaking about. I don't think he was pointing out more novice collections being not to his liking but the fact that the more knowledgable veteran collectors are not interested in particpating anymore and he has a great point.

Yes I myself am always interested in hearing about the minor league bat handed over to a first time collector. But dont you ever find it interesting to find about the collector who has the Babe Ruth Game Used bat in his collection?

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    Yes I myself am always interested in hearing about the minor league bat handed over to a first time collector. But dont you ever find it interesting to find about the collector who has the Babe Ruth Game Used bat in his collection?
    Sure, but how many such bats exist, or are changing hands on a regular basis? I would, personally, consider a forum that dealt exclusively with memorabilia from players who've been dead for 60+ years to be something of a yawner - but I wouldn't put down the guys who were really into it; I'd just go away. Baseball is a living thing to me, and it creates relics worth cherishing every day it's played.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    Sure, but how many such bats exist, or are changing hands on a regular basis? I would, personally, consider a forum that dealt exclusively with memorabilia from players who've been dead for 60+ years to be something of a yawner - but I wouldn't put down the guys who were really into it; I'd just go away. Baseball is a living thing to me, and it creates relics worth cherishing every day it's played.
    Again your missing the point. No one has said they want that type of an environment exclusively and no one is putting down the novice collectors. All the person was saying is that they wish the people who are veterans involved in the hobby to participate more here and instead they dont and you have more of the novice collectors participating instead of the veterans adding there input as they used too.

I have been a part of a lot of forums on various interests and have seen similar feelings expressed in those forums lamenting that the forum has gone stagnant or lacks the activity or content that it once had. And while I understand those feelings, I also have garnered alot from this and other forums in the way of information and the formation of distant but real friendships, so I find it hard to feel too disenchanted despite the fact there may be a drought in topics of interest to me. It's like a free newspaper. Maybe there's nothing I want to read in it today. Maybe not tomorrow. But maybe a week from now I see something I want to read, and hey, it's free. I feel like I have won in that regard.