Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rawlings RTS - NFL Helmets

Just picked up a 11-83 stamped Seahawks Rawlings RTS helmet. It has very modified padding, looks to have been game worn, although a lot of reason to believe it was simply a custom Frankenstein job inside.

The main reason why I bought this helmet, it resembled the low decal placement in the Seahawks helmet featured on this 1984-85 'NFL and You' rookie player's manual.

Crazy thing is the screw/rivets are in the exact location, on the helmet featured on the manual, to where the screw rivets are on the helmet I just picked up. So, leads me to believe there were a stack of decals pre punctured, then applied to the helmet. Or, I have the exact helmet featured on this cover.
    Robert...? I know you know these vintage plastic Rawlings lids well.

Regardless, really dig this helmet. The proportions, decals, rusted screw/rivets, face mask, .......superb!

BTW, the noodle padding plastic was junk, completely detrioated and crumbling like dry brittle macaroni.

Re: Rawlings RTS - NFL Helmets

Just received a brochure on these 'Rawlings Tubular System' helmets(thanks Jeff). Looks like the macaroni bit were made out of polyurethane, and the shells were made out of ABS CyCoLite. Don't think the people at Rawlings knew how much their polyurethane blend would actually breakdown, since they were selling it pretty hard for it's stability and flexibility, "...for many years".

I believe what Schutt is doing now, with their TPU, is what Rawlings were hoping for out of these polyurethane tubes.

Franco Harris with his RTS in 1984.

Awesome Rawlings helmet Princip! Those 80's Rawlings helmets really are unique. If you look back at 2009 GUU postings in the "March Pick-ups" thread, you'll see another GUU member, Jaccuzzi, had picked up a load of these Rawlings brand helmets, including a couple of Vikings helmets. Here is a screen capture of Jaccuzzi's Vikings Rawlings helmets:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned

Resolution isn't great, however cool pic of the clear shell RTS used in the brochure.

Thanks for remembering Vikingshelmetguy. I picked up in that group a Chiefs, Oilers and Colts as well. Of the Rawlings I picked up, One Vikings the Chiefs and Colts all Had the team name on the forehead pad. Does anyone know why some of them have this and some don't? I also added a pickure of Bert Jones and Earl Campbell wearing 'em.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Jacuzzi View Post
    Thanks for remembering Vikingshelmetguy. I picked up in that group a Chiefs, Oilers and Colts as well. Of the Rawlings I picked up, One Vikings the Chiefs and Colts all Had the team name on the forehead pad. Does anyone know why some of them have this and some don't? I also added a pickure of Bert Jones and Earl Campbell wearing 'em.
    I'm pretty sure this predates the NFL's current deal with Riddell that mandates teams cover up logos on helmets from other brands like we have today; I don't think that started until the late 1980s or early 1990s. That being said, it seems like some teams started covering up the manufacturer logos on all their helmets there during the early 1980s, but it really was on a team-by-team basis, and it wasn't necessarily consistent so a team might cover them for a year or two, then leave them uncovered for another year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by John in KY View Post
    I'm pretty sure this predates the NFL's current deal with Riddell that mandates teams cover up logos on helmets from other brands like we have today; I don't think that started until the late 1980s or early 1990s. That being said, it seems like some teams started covering up the manufacturer logos on all their helmets there during the early 1980s, but it really was on a team-by-team basis, and it wasn't necessarily consistent so a team might cover them for a year or two, then leave them uncovered for another year or two.
    When Franco wore his RTS, while with the Hawks in 1984, his lid had the Seahawks wordmark on the front nameplate/sweatband. Thing is, that Rawlings logo/wordmark is so big, they must have used an extra large decal, or spray paint to cover it up?

The weird thing is that these front pads aren't covered over Rawlings. They are actually printed/embossed with the team name. The letters are actually indented like they were made with a punch.

I think the Riddell agreement with the NFL was in 1992?