Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Bonds Clemens and Sosa on HOF ballot

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    on Selig, withholding his negligence in the steroid matter this is what i see as his accomplishments.

how about making the all star game count for home field advantage.
    how about stopping the all star game in a tie
    how about cancelling a world series
    1) I agree
    3) It takes two to tango
    2) I argue with my father-in-law about this all the time. The ASG is a meaningless exhibition (or at least it was until point #1.) What if the game went 5-7-15 more innings? I don't know what team you root for, but how would you feel watching YOUR All Star pitcher have to throw 7 or 8 innings in an ASG? We've seen what happens to even great pitchers when they extend themselves too far (Helllooo, Johann!) If you have a beef with an ASG being called, imagine how much you'd complain if your team's shot at the playoffs were ruined because your stud pitcher is on the DL because he had to finish some exhibition game!

Quote Originally Posted by Bondsgloves View Post
    I think the Hall will elect somebody , they want a ceremony every year. Cooperstown's economically needs a induction ceremony every year, its all about the money. Frankly I didn't think Barry Larkin was a HOFer he benefitted from a weak class...

As a Bonds collector I could care less either way.

I think Pete Rose is more relevent and collectible today because he is not in the Hall. People bring up his name in conversation and debate every year because he is not in.. If he was in people wouldn't be talking about him nearly as much. Do you think as many people would know a bout shoeless joe if he had been elected? If he had already been elected not as many people would ever no who he is. I think the players that are kept out even though deserving... are more famous for not being in than if they were elected.
    Couldn't disagree more about Lark. He was an elite player for several seasons and no one was better at what he did when he played.

I think the writers have made their position pretty well known on PED's in the low number of votes for the others who have been tied in with the steroid issue. While not the caliber of players as Sosa and Bonds, their numbers are noticeably lower in previous years voting compared to other players.

I also disagree that they will elect someone just to have a ceremony. They still have the veterans committee and other ways to have inductees. There have been years in the past when nobody has been elected, and I personally agree in the strict requirements.