Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Is this enough for this jersey to be authentic?

I got some more info regarding the GCL and their jerseys. I confirmed that batting practice type jerseys are their actual game jerseys.

I also confirmed that the #80 written in sharpie on the jersey tag is a "wash number". I guess in the GCL a team can have as many players as they want, so they assign each player a "wash number" to put on all their clothing that gets washed.

So this looks pretty legit. I am still going to contact the GCl Phillies and ask them more questions about the jerseys, but things look good thus far.

Thanks everyone fo all your help.

So, after discussing this jersey with the source who sold it to me, he states that the jersey in the pics that Cardenas is wearing must be the same jersey I bought as in the GCL, the player only has one game jersey.

So how do I get this provenance "officialized"? Should I write a letter to the team asking them if they can confirm this in writing? Maybe I can some more information on the wash number which is on the Majestic outer label.

Any thoughts?

Provenance can never be "official." It isn't a yes or no, it is or it is not type situation. Some is simply better than others. For example, having him write a letter would improve the provenance. Having the player write a letter would improve the provenance even more. The more proof, the better. Hope this helps.

Chris

"Provenance can never be "official." It isn't a yes or no, it is or it is not type situation."

chris,

i don't understand this. can you clarify?

thanks,

rudy.

Provenance is tracking the history or source of the item. In the case of this example, since the ballplayer did not directly give Brian the item, he can never say that he is 100% sure that it is real. The better documentation he has, the more likely it is that the jersey is real. Provenance usually means documentation or evidence suggesting what the source is.

For example, let's say Cal Ripken is giving a talk at a charitable function. You attend this event and happen to meet him and obtain his autograph. You can never prove to anyone else that the signature is real if they themselves did not witness him signing the item. However, you can save the program from the dinner to prove you were there. You can save the ticket stub to the event. If you needed to wear a wristband for entrance to the event, you save this as well. If you flew in for the event, saving your plane ticket to the city, which shows the dates you were there and that these dates coincide with the speaking event is more proof. You can take pictures of him speaking at the event. You may have a photo of him signing the item. This is all provenance. You can never prove it to be 100% genuine, but the more documentation you have to back your claim, the more conceivable it is that the signature is authentic...better provenance means having better proof. Hope this helps.

Chris