Was wodnering what people's throughts were on the number specialty patches that the NFL has done in recent years. I believe this will likely only grow. There are only 16 NFL games per team, yet it seems like some other event, or cause is being honored all the time. I am not bashing the cuases, moreso the need to do this with patches.

Now in week 14 and 15 for 2012 there are 50th anniversary HOF patches. Does the HOF really need to be honored or marketed? Perhaps it does, but to me seems like overkill.

Some LEAGUE WIDE PATCHES over teh last few years ahev been the following:

American Bowl Patch
The Patriots honored a super bowl championship on opening day one year
The Captain's patches in 2007, which I do not think is needed
BCA patches and pink accents annually in October - they need to retool think and make the pink accents more uniform, some guys do it, some don't some have pink socks, some have pink chin straps, cleats, etc.... looks like a modge podge of pepto bismol playing football every October, and on top of it, they ripped off the idea from MLB.
International Series Patch
9/11 tribute patch
The camo patches, special logo footballs in 2012 and beyond
Now the HOF patches
Super Bowl 32 started a patch on
New stadium patches - i.e. packers, giants, eagles, etc did this
I haven't even mentioned the Pro Bowl and I know I am missing others....

What's next a "post season" jersey patch for all playoff teams like MLB?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personally, I think these should be the only patches they should use:

Team logo patches - i.e. the Steelers and Jets both use a clean patch on the left side of their jersey which looks nice

Anniversary patches - i.e. NFL 75th season, a specific team's years of existence, 9/11 Tibute

Super Bowl Patch

Honoring the passing of a relevant person to the franchise or league - The Tom Landry Hat back in 2000 was very nice looking and original, the GU Gene Upshaw Patch was a little large, but overall done well.