Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

question about getting grey flannel account

I wanted to place a bid on an item in grey flannel but i dont have an account. How hard is it to get one? When i tried to register it asks for 3 references but i dont have any. Will i get denied?
    Always buying David Justice items

Banned

Re: question about getting grey flannel account

Quote Originally Posted by murfsteve25 View Post
    I wanted to place a bid on an item in grey flannel but i dont have an account. How hard is it to get one? When i tried to register it asks for 3 references but i dont have any. Will i get denied?
    Those references are a joke - Very few auction houses are close enough to check references from other auction houses - They just want to see you are active elsewhere.

Grey Flannel was one of the first auction houses where I signed up. Before I was allowed to bid on a "premier" lot, they asked that I provide a bank or similar statement showing that I could actually pay if I won. They are the only auction house that has done that. Others have let me bid on anything without restriction.

If you have a decent eBay feedback, that will help. I agree with Joel, there shouldn't be an issue signing up. And I don't think any of them actually check references with their competitors.

Thanks a lot. I went ahead and registered. Just wondering tho, lets say I win on an item...what happens next? Do they mail you the invoice and you just mail them back the check? Whats the timeline for payments?

They will email and mail you an invoice. They usually ask for payment within two weeks. If you send a check, they will hold the merchandise until it clears. I always send a bank check and they usually mail within a day or so.

A couple tips you've probably already figured:

(1) Make sure you think about what you are paying with 20% added on top. It makes a big difference to the price when the buyer's premium is added. They also charge a lot for shipping because of insurance, among other reasons. You won't be paying eBay rates.

(2) GF requires that you place a bid prior to a cut-off time. Grey Flannel ends the entire auction once no bid has been received on ANY lot for 10 minutes. So expect the auction to remain open late (3-4 am is typical in my experience).

Good luck!

Hey thanks alot! I appreciate the info

Any luck in the auction? I got outbid at 4:06 am ET on a lot. That hurt, but not too bad, because the final price is I believe the highest amount ever paid for the item.

Quote Originally Posted by esquiresports View Post
    Any luck in the auction? I got outbid at 4:06 am ET on a lot. That hurt, but not too bad, because the final price is I believe the highest amount ever paid for the item.
    Correction - outbid at 4:06 PACIFIC. 7:06 EASTERN. Wow - that's a new record for me.

Quote Originally Posted by esquiresports View Post
    Nope. I had a bid on the Justice jersey and got outbid on it. Decided that if i were to place another bid on it that it would be too much than what i would have wanted to pay with all the other fees added to it so i decided to let it go. What were you bidding on?

I was bidding on the ABA basketball. Never bid on one before. Just thought it would be a cool display piece. When I was a little kid, I always wanted a red, white and blue basketball, but they had stopped making them. Definitely would have been the most (by far) I have spent on something not a sports card and not game used. Probably for the best that I lost (that's what I tell myself to feel better).