Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thread: GU bat dilemma

GU bat dilemma

I recently asked a question about the trademark after Louisville Slugger underneath the player's name. I explained that a bat I was considering purchasing--a Dale Murphy spring training game used bat, according to the seller--had the trademark after the word 'Slugger' on the bat. From the research I had done and the confirmation of a board member, I learned that this bat was from between 1986 and 1989. Now, here's the twist...

The seller claims that the bat was given to him by Murph after a broken-bat ground out in a spring training game versus the Dodgers in West Palm Beach in 1984.

Can't be the case. Bat wasn't used in 1984 because the trademark didn't exist until 1986.

I asked the seller about this discrepancy. He says that he remembers it being from 1984, but he was still in elementary school so he could have been mistaken.

Question: Should I consider this part of the provenance of the bat and purchase it anyway? It shows use, light pine tar, and a crack on the handle. The seller has agreed to sell it to me for $200.

I have included pictures of the bat. I welcome your suggestions and opinions.

Re: GU bat dilemma

Here are the pictures...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

200 seems high, specially for a spring training bat. But I'm not a expert on Murphy bats.

if you know what it is and like it, buy it. the price is high though.

Hmmm I thought that was a decent price. I've seen non gamers for 100-150. What do you guys see as an acceptable price for a Murph gamer?