Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Did Reds or MLB use Giamatti balls in 1990 after he died?

I have a ball that comes with a Reds COA for a game in early April 1990. It is a Bartlett Giamatti Official NL ball. However, Giamatti died in September 1989. Does anyone know if the Reds or MLB used Giamatti balls in 1990 after he had died? I could see a situation where the Reds had balls left from 1989 and used them the following year. Thanks.

Re: Did Reds or MLB use Giamatti balls in 1990 after he died?

Quote Originally Posted by SSB15 View Post
    I have a ball that comes with a Reds COA for a game in early April 1990. It is a Bartlett Giamatti Official NL ball. However, Giamatti died in September 1989. Does anyone know if the Reds or MLB used Giamatti balls in 1990 after he had died? I could see a situation where the Reds had balls left from 1989 and used them the following year. Thanks.
    that's not really that unusual

How do you know it is not unusual? Thanks

Banned

Cool Re: Did Reds or MLB use Giamatti balls in 1990 after he died?

I eventually bought from the ballhawk who caught it a 1989 NLCS Game 1 home run ball hit onto Waveland Avenue by Kevin Mitchell. It was a Giamatti ball (and has long since been sold).

Dave Miedema

To the MLB clubs, a ball is a ball. Unless Fay Vincent came in an ordered all of the balls turned in, I imagine they would use old stock until they ran out. Teams likely order a full years' worth (or more) of baseballs at once. Some use the extras for batting practice, but I'm sure there are some that are around and could make it into game use.

Same goes for many public office stationary when there is a changing of the guard. Many times, the incoming member will use up the old stationary before ordering anything new with their information on it.

Banned

Exclamation Re: Did Reds or MLB use Giamatti balls in 1990 after he died?

I have another recollection: getting a baseball from a Blue jays BP in 1997 and having it be a Bobby Brown baseball.

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    I have another recollection: getting a baseball from a Blue jays BP in 1997 and having it be a Bobby Brown baseball.

Dave Miedema
    Thanks for the information. All of your points make sense. This holds especially true since this was an April game.

Scott