Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Syracuse Chiefs Jerseys-Help Indentifying Players?

Hello baseball fans. Could I pls ask for your help identifying the players that may have worn the following jerseys for the Toronto Blue Jays minor league clug -The Syracuse Chiefs (now SkyChiefs)? Any assistance would be appreciated.

The first is a 1978, powder blue jersey...#31........and the second is a dark blue mesh, 1992 pullover, #26. Pls see the attached pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: Syracuse Chiefs Jerseys-Help Indentifying Players?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1978-SYRACUSE-CH...QQcmdZViewItem
    If I were you, I'd jump on this eBay auction.
    Danny Ainge played on the '78 Chiefs. Don't know if he wore #31?

A suggestion would be to check eBay for any sellers offering a program from either of those two seasons and purchase them OR ask the seller if he/she could tell who wore those specific numbers by looking at the scorepage. I've done this a couple relative to older Rochester Red Wing jerseys & bats and its worked out perfectly.

That is good advice..thanks. I have tried to pinpoint these players this way, but haven't had any luck. Have purchased a few home and away programs from both years and have not seen either jersey # listed.

chris,

i'd also hop on these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8731092582

rudy.

Have you tried contacting the team?

Here is a list of front office staff with e-mails and phone numbers. Some minor league teams have been helpful with me, in the past.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...=.jsp&sid=t552
    "We need rebirth of the American tradition of leadership ... in private life as well." "'Trust me' government asks that we concentrate our hopes and dreams on one man; that we trust him to do what's best for us. My view of government places trust not in one person or one party, but in those values that transcend persons and parties. The trust is where it belongs--in the people." - Ronald Reagan"

http://www.freewebs.com/chrishwish/

Thanks for the tips and contact info! I appreciate it!

I think I have a lead....a contact has emailed me that a 1978 Chiefs program indicates the Jack Baker (1B) wore 31 for the team.

The basebal cube site mentions a Jack Baker, and the dates seem to coincide, but his stint with Syracuse isn't mentioned.

Position: 1B Full Name: Jack Edward Baker Born: May 4, 1950 Place: Birmingham,Alabama Height: 6-5 Weight: 225 Bats: R Throws: R High School: unknown College: Auburn University

Transactions:
    Drafted - Selected by Pittsburgh Pirates in 19th Round (440th overall) of 1969 amateur entry draft (June-Reg) ... Selected by Boston Red Sox in 26th Round (597th overall) of 1971 amateur entry draft (June-Reg) Dec 9,1977 - Traded by Red Sox to Indians for Garry Hancock.

Major League Debut:
    Saturday September 11,1976 (Age: 26)

Last Major League Game:
    Wednesday June 8,1977 (Age: 27)

Thanks for the leads!

I just spoke with Mr.Tex Simone - Executive Vice President/COO of the team and he confirmed that Jack Baker did indeed wear # 31 for the team in 1978...and was a home run hitter that was also in the Red Sox organization. Interestingly, Mr. Simone remembers him as an outfielder (not as a first baseman as referenced by the Baseball Cube) that converted to become a pitcher!

The 1992 #26 jersey was worn by either (or perhaps both) Bob MacDonald (RHP) who played for the big club in 1992 appreared in 27 games for the Jays (the year they won the first of consecutive WS) and/or Anthony Ward (LHP).
    WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

An update on the #31, 1978 Syracuse jersey....

Through a GUU member who is friends with Jack Baker and his brother, we were able to agree on a deal to get this jersey back to Jack. Thanks for the info Brad!

chris
    WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca