Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1984 Olympic jerseys MEARS/eBay

I missed the MEARS auction (http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.co...hvalue=Olympic) over the holidays but one of the jerseys that sold just showed up on eBay (#221177081378) and they are not exactly as they are billed. These were extra jerseys but I would hesitate to classify these as even game issued, I would say with 99% certainty that these were never worn by the names associated with the jersey. I feel especially bad for the winner of the Will Clark jersey that paid $624.

Every photo that I have seen of the 1984 per-Olympic tour shows name plates which none of these jerseys have. They also all had front numbers which several do not have. Beware of these, they are neat jerseys that you could call team issued but nothing more than that.
    Russ - Always on the lookout for Jim Abbott, Team USA and Detroit Tigers GU.

Re: 1984 Olympic jerseys MEARS/eBay

In the mears listings they did say "While these jerseys are not from the Olympic Games they were available to the team for any number of exhibitions, practices and promotional team activities prior to".

Also couldn't the numbers and name plates have been removed after?

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    Also couldn't the numbers and name plates have been removed after?
    It's possible but there is no mention in the mears listings and I emailed the eBay seller and he ignored that portion of my email.

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    In the mears listings they did say "While these jerseys are not from the Olympic Games they were available to the team for any number of exhibitions, practices and promotional team activities prior to".
    Understood but I merely point this out to help other collectors. Exhibition play is highly doubtful and the rest is a convenient stretch.

Exhibition, issued, or not, if these had nameplates I would have loved to grab the Billy Swift.

I could understand no NOB, but the lack of front numbers seems a bit too off for me.

Russ...i have a Red Hoover shirt...no NOB and no number on the front...under the Rawlings tag is # Hoover....this is a practice shirt? i think its number 11..thanks, Jeff

But the way the auction sounds is they were given to a college to reuse? What if the college wasn't allowed to have NOB and numbers on the front?

Here is the original thread explaining the provenance of the jerseys:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...&highlight=usa

It's safe to say that these jerseys were part of the USA baseball Team program, but photos will need to be found to know when these were worn, where they were worn, and which players were wearing those numbers at that point in time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com