Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

THE $xxx.99 bid to jsut drive up the costs

I am getting a little annoyed with a number of auctions on various sites with some bidders puttin obvious

I just bid on a game used jersey on NFL auctions and a bidder had put down 8 consecutive bids at these amounts below.

$497.00
    $474.00
    $449.00
    $399.00
    $388.00
    $379.99
    $348.00
    $324.00

I copied and pasted that bidders ID and did a google search and found 4 otehr auctions this bidders has bid on and check the bid history and the bidder has a track record of putting numerous consecutive bids at dollar amount designed to not WIN the auction but to just drive the price up and/or in a attempt to determine the point where the auction hits someone's max bid to maybe snipe it at the last second.

From being in the game used industry for a decade, this drives me nuts and it is not a isolated incident. I wish there was a way to police this crap, but guess I am just pissing and moaning.

Re: THE $xxx.99 bid to jsut drive up the costs

I see this all the time on MLB Auctions by the same people too. It drives me nuts as well. Especially when an item gets bid up high with over a week to go.

I also notice this on ebay where I'll make a bid then the next bid seems designed to only bump the price up and not actually win.

Wish there was something that could be done about them. Sometimes I think that people just don't know how to bid, or want to big time to say they "bid" on whatever item.

I agree. It's disgraceful. My first experience with NFL Auctions, one bidder walked the price up to my max bid in $10.00 increments and stopped as soon as they realized they hit it. Over twenty bids! I was furious. It's happened each time since, albeit less egregiously.

I know how you feel. I just had to contend with a eerily similar situation.

I was bidding on a gamer on NFL Auctions and a single bidder cost me almost 1000$! I did a little research into this bidder and found that he was and has been bidding on multiple jerseys but not winning any. It appears that his singular goal is to drive up the price of many NFL Auctions gamers but not win any.

It is a free country and anyone can bid on NFL Auctions but to bid just to cost collectors $$$ is really childish. I would never do something like that as it is counterproductive to the hobby and just makes you look like a complete ass. If someone wants to add a shirt to their collection and bids me up I have absolutely no issue with that. In those instances we both are eventually contributing to charity and accomplishing our own goal of adding something to our NFL collections.

On the other hand, to bid in 10$ increments with one second left and with no intention of buying the shirt, is a bit much. I have bid in small increments on items that I had every intention of winning. By bidding in small increments I am only hoping to win at the lowest possible price. To essentially screw another collector just for the sake of driving up the price is plain dumb.

I do not think such kind of activity will change unless the guilty party ends up winning a few items and the auction houses make them pay. Once that happens and the word gets out hopefully those kinds of bidders will disappear.

Always buying 49er game worn items and ALL 1994 game worn 49er items. Paying a finders fee of up to 500$ for quality info that leads to a sale.

Paul
    garciajones@yahoo.com

Banned

This happens all the time. Some people just like to bid to say they bid. Others bid because they have a similar item and want to "protect" their investment. Some others probably are just jealous that they can't afford an item and want to make someone who is better off then they are pay a bit more for it.

Quote Originally Posted by JDubbs73 View Post
    I agree. It's disgraceful. My first experience with NFL Auctions, one bidder walked the price up to my max bid in $10.00 increments and stopped as soon as they realized they hit it. Over twenty bids! I was furious. It's happened each time since, albeit less egregiously.
    I'm confused, does the auction tell them when they have "tied" your bid?
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Yes, look at the bid history in auctions and you can see who bid and the amount of their bid(s).

Last night I was thrilled to pick up Dallas Clark's Buccaneers Game used jersey, but had to pay $65 over what I wanted to pay for it, just because of that bidder.

mlb is the same crap. countless times have i bid on items, only to find out the amount was raised, by the same idiots mind you, in an attempt to screw me to pay more or not win at all. and yes, it is the same idiots every time. ebay, same crap.