I picked up this 1998 (or possibly 1996) game used Edgar Renteria jersey. After inspecting it I quickly realized that this jersey has been altered. Now I know that during this time (late 90's) it was not uncommon for teams to recycle jerseys from year to year and even from player to player. But do you guys think that they would have left such a noticeable outline (of the previous number)?

Name:  Renteria98-1 copy.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  85.6 KB
Name:  Renteria98-3 copy.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  82.1 KB
Name:  Renteria98-6 copy.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  94.4 KB
Name:  Renteria98-7 copy.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  84.3 KB
Name:  Renteria98-8 copy.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  80.0 KB
Name:  Renteria98-9 copy.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  93.9 KB

As you can see from the pictures it appears that the previous number on the jersey (most noticeable from the back) was #17. Looking through the Marlins rosters there was a #17 on the team in 1995 (Darrell Whitmore) the year prior to Renteria's rookie season. The odd thing about that is that the outline of the nameplate on the back suggest a shorter name being on their previously and Whitmore has as many letter and presumably would take up as much space on the back as Renteria would. The jersey doesn't seem to be fake but I also don't feel comfortable saying that Renteria actually wore it based on the less than stellar alterations done to it. So can anyone help me figure this mystery out!? Have you guys ever dealt with something like this?