Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Changes at USPS for DC #

Just went to mail some packages today and the girl at the P.O. tells me to throw away my Green DC labels and then puts blank white labels over the DC tags on my packages.

They now create a Tracking Label to affix to your package and shows on your receipt. Prints on the same label stickers that they print postage on.

I wonder if this is a cost saving procedure or an anti-fraud issue or both.

I say anti-fraud, because with the Green Labels you could attach at home, you could send the DC # to someone prior to mailing the package and then claim that the system must be messed up or scanned wrong when it doesn't show up in the DC Tracking system.

Now, the system creates the number and puts it in immediately as well as putting it on your receipt.

Just thought I'd share.

- Smitty

Re: Changes at USPS for DC #

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Just went to mail some packages today and the girl at the P.O. tells me to throw away my Green DC labels and then puts blank white labels over the DC tags on my packages.

They now create a Tracking Label to affix to your package and shows on your receipt. Prints on the same label stickers that they print postage on.

I wonder if this is a cost saving procedure or an anti-fraud issue or both.

I say anti-fraud, because with the Green Labels you could attach at home, you could send the DC # to someone prior to mailing the package and then claim that the system must be messed up or scanned wrong when it doesn't show up in the DC Tracking system.

Now, the system creates the number and puts it in immediately as well as putting it on your receipt.

Just thought I'd share.

- Smitty
    I think it's neither (cost-saving or anti-fraud). I think it's a revenue generating move/motive. Now every Priority Package will be charged the additional Delivery Confirmation fee (which by the way is higher than it was) whereas in the past, it was optional.

Quote Originally Posted by rufusandherschel View Post
    I think it's neither (cost-saving or anti-fraud). I think it's a revenue generating move/motive. Now every Priority Package will be charged the additional Delivery Confirmation fee (which by the way is higher than it was) whereas in the past, it was optional.
    DC is still .90. Same as before. Still Optional on Parcel 1st Class.

It's FREE on Priority Mail and has been fro some time now.

Interesting. First, I don't recall DC ever being free where I reside (Midwest), second, it's always been optional with Priority Mail, third, DC was previously 0.70 and now it's about $1. Still an option with Parcel 1st class. I didn't know that DC evidently varies depending on the location in the US.

It was FREE on Priority Mail if you paid and printed your label at home via the internet. It was not free if you went to the post office to buy the postage and mail your item. It was not previously .90
    - CINCINNATI REDS/JOEY VOTTO BATS
    Email: rdeversole@gmail.com Twitter: @dugoutrelics

Quote Originally Posted by rdeversole View Post
    It was FREE on Priority Mail if you paid and printed your label at home via the internet. It was not free if you went to the post office to buy the postage and mail your item. It was not previously .90
    Thanks for the explanation/clarification re. DC, i.e., Internet purchase Vs. at the P.O.

Quote Originally Posted by rufusandherschel View Post
    Interesting. First, I don't recall DC ever being free where I reside (Midwest), second, it's always been optional with Priority Mail, third, DC was previously 0.70 and now it's about $1. Still an option with Parcel 1st class. I didn't know that DC evidently varies depending on the location in the US.
    It's been .90 for DC here (Denver, CO area) for at least the past two years.

DC has always been a free option with Priority too - but you still have to ask for it, they don't just offer it.

I have always been charged for DC on priority mail and have been using the service for the better part of 6 years now
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by rdeversole View Post
    I can tell you for a fact that here in Denver it has been .90 for at least two years. I mail out at least 1-2 packages every week whether personal or business.

As far as the free part on Priority, my P.O. hasn't charged me for my DC in over a year on Priority packages and I mail everything at the counter and have never paid and printed labels at home.

On a somewhat unrelated note... Yesterday I had my first ever postage rejection at a local branch of postage I printed at home. Took in two bats in triangle tubes and one medium box. The bats were accepted without incident. The Medium Box was rejected because I used a flat rate box, but entered the exact dimensions and weight instead of paying the "flat rate". The flat rate was I think $11.85. The exact dimensions and weight resulted in somewhere around $6.50 for Priority Mail. Had I used the priority mail box that said just "Medium Box" all would have been fine. But since the box said flat rate, they refused to take it.

Seriously, the exact same size shape and weight, just with different words on the box got it rejected. I paid for the exact same service, but the "flat rate" is a rip off, unless you are shipping something that weighs about 15-20 pounds. So, lesson learned, don't use a flat rate box and pay actual shipping costs, put it in an identically sized box and pay half the price.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell