Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Re: Washing a game used jersey

As a former Boy Scout who worked his way up to Eagle, I can say that you never put a tent up wet unless you have to, but then when you get home you hang it out to dry to keep it from molding and to make sure it is clean before putting back into storage. A jersey hanging up in someone's house in a temp controlled environment will not mold if it stays dry and the humidity doesn't stay too high in the house. If there ever is mold on a jersey, then I would probably just wash that area by hand. I have never seen a jersey with mold on it, but then again I have not seen every jersey. As for bacteria, I would probably just spray it lightly with one of those germ killing aerosol sprays if I was really worried about it, and I would have to ask my friend who is a physician, but I think when blood dries over time you do not have to worry about contracting anything, but I could be wrong.

I was never a boy scout and I have put up many tents wet. Mostly because it was raining at the time or because of the morning dew.
    I usually unrolled them and allowed them to dry later at home, but not always.

"As for bacteria, I would probably just spray it lightly with one of those germ killing aerosol sprays if I was really worried about it,..."

Good idea! Such a simple yet ingenious solution.

threads like this are why the elder collectors no longer participate on this forum....anybody can take a game used clean jersey and grime it up if you want to pay more for it...anybody who puts a filthy jersey in their closet is not a collector he is a ....... Fill in the blank...

I have noticed one thing about his forum.
    Some here are so intolerant of anyone else or their ideas that communist China must look like a utopia to their feeble little minds.

Roady, there are often very differing opinions on here. Washing or God forbid wearing a jersey will bring out the gloves with some people. To each their own.

Personally, I think the money that I'd love in washing a jersey would be much less that the hospital bills from the nasties you might get or the lawyer bills for a divorce. Plus I find smelling someone else's body sweat and fluids to be just a little on the odd side...but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by jppopma View Post
    Plus I find smelling someone else's body sweat and fluids to be just a little on the odd side...but that's just me.
    Preserving another dude's grime isn't just a little on the odd side...it is very much like a stalker

Quote Originally Posted by jppopma View Post
    Roady, there are often very differing opinions on here. Washing or God forbid wearing a jersey will bring out the gloves with some people. To each their own.

Personally, I think the money that I'd love in washing a jersey would be much less that the hospital bills from the nasties you might get or the lawyer bills for a divorce. Plus I find smelling someone else's body sweat and fluids to be just a little on the odd side...but that's just me.
    I can handle and expect people to disagree.
    What I have noticed in the last few years is some of those who simply disagree are quick to hurl insults and call names. I don't know if the internet provides them with the protection they need to show their true colors without fear of a bloody nose, or if they are just mean people all the time.
    I don't care what someone does with their property. It's none of my business. Why does anyone care?
    Do your thing and let the other guy do his.

Quote Originally Posted by flaco1801 View Post
    ...anybody who puts a filthy jersey in their closet is not a collector he is a ....... Fill in the blank...
    See my above post...

Just to add my two cents, a funny story. (And by no means am I implying that anyone who has anything to do with this thread is the person who emailed me.)

As many of you know, I'm the original owner of the 9/11 John Abraham jersey which I purchased from NFL Auctions. There is an earlier thread in here that discusses the fact that I could not stand the smell of it, never thought it would leave my collection, so I washed it. A few months later, another jersey I wanted became available and I was forced to sell the Abraham jersey to be able to make this new purchase. I wish for the life of me I could remember who I sold it to, but one thing I know for sure. The buyer was made aware that I had laundered the jersey at home, hence the discounted price I gave him.

Fast forward to this year's Hunt Super Bowl Auction. The same jersey came up for auction and sold for roughly $500. I have no idea if the person who consigned it to Hunt was the same buyer I sold it too or if it had exchanged hands prior to the Hunt sale.

About a month or so after the auction had closed I got a very angry email from the buyer, who apparently purchased it for $500 or so, then tried to sell it on ebay for as high as $1,200.

Here is the email in it's entirety, word for word, minus the cursing:

"Hey im the one who bought the abraham 9/11 jersey on hunt and come to find out it was washed? Are you f&*%ing kidding me ? Who does some s%*t like that after they pay close to1k for a jersey what a joke and sad day for the hobby!!! Unreal dude, this is total bulls%*t!!! I contacted hunt and sent them your GUU post so they know that the item they sold was misrepresented to them and should of said washed in there listing but it wasnt!!! Total false bs!! Thats okay cuz i will get my money back for false advertisement nice job by the way!!! Take a beautiful jersey and destroy it like that cuz of the smell. Hope you like it coming back into your collection, be well!!!"

So here is the email I sent back to him, again minus the cursing:

"Look dude....I'm not the one who sold it on hunt. Check your facts. Whoever consigned it on hunt prob had gotten it from me but he's the one who misrepresented it, not me. The guy I sold it to knew exactly what it was...a washed Abe jersey hence the price.
    Why the f&*k would I go on a public forum like GUU and talk about washing it then try and pass it off on a national auction as unwashed??? Are u seriously that stupid?
    Washed or unwashed, that's a matter of preference anyway...not my problem u are into men's sweaty laundry."

His email back to me:

"The whole point of the game used hobby is use u clown! and u wash it away? are u that fuc&*%ng stupid! why do u collect it to ruin it by washing it? why bother? yeah i do collect sweaty mens laundry cuz it displays the game which is what most want minus the dbags who wear the jerseys or wash them. i dont let anyone dictate to me if im allowed to display or take a smelly jersey out of a bag! i have a set of balls and a spine! thanks! thanks for ruining the hobby. guys like u make me sick. go collect jersey cards! spend top dollar to wash away evidence and photo matches! lmfao! hahaha. what a joke"

And my final email back to him:

"Look man don't be mad at me cause u thought u could take a jersey that wouldn't even sell for 500 on Hunt and flip it on eBay for 1200???!!!
    I'm not even the guy u should be mad at. Call Hunt, find out the consigner and go from there. Geez, for a guy with "ballz and spine" this shouldn't be so hard.
    And I'm not the one who was tryin to tell u how to keep your jerseys. U where the one giving me s*%t for washing it. Just as u say, I don't let anyone dictate to me how or what I do with my jerseys. My 4,000-6,000 jerseys I don't wash. Not my fault u thought u could make a quick 700 and it didn't turn out that way..."

Why am I sharing this? Well when I got the emails it first pissed me off but later made me laugh. Was just waiting for this subject to come up here so I could share this story...