Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Grey Flannel auctions

I have no problem using my credit card as verification.
    I do have a problem giving you the number over the phone.

I, too, have been banned from bidding in GF auctions because I pointed out problems with several Cardinals jerseys in one of their auctions. I was berated on the phone by GF's owner and told I had no credibility. They eventually pulled six of the nine jerseys I questioned, but I still was banned. GF has zero integrity in my book. I don't miss bidding in their auctions.

Quote Originally Posted by dplettn View Post
    We've all seen the effort Grey Flannel puts into vetting and authenticating items. Its extensive. So basically, this person bid on the item during the auction and then AFTER the auction decided they changed their mind about their own comfort. Sounds like an appropriate banning to me.
    If I bid on an item and then, through my own research, I was able to determine that it wasn't what the auction house presented it as, I'd be on the phone to retract my bid or get my money back in a split second. If I deserve to get banned based on those circumstances, then I wouldn't want to deal with that company in the future.

Mike

Banned

My thoughts:

1. Don't bid on an item unless your 100 percent comfortable with that item. If you need better or additional pics or information ask the auction house or the seller. Before you bid also know the rules of the auction if the rules say all bids are final then if you fail to do your due diligence before bidding you should live with the consequences of that.

2. As someone who has sold alot of items on Ebay. I can tell you that often buyers don't pay for items they bid on. I can imagine it is the same for auction houses so to me there is nothing wrong with ensuring that the buyer is able to pay. If someone can't pay for an item how fair is that to the consignor who consigned the item months before and has been waiting for payment for that whole time? Or the auction house that incurred costs in storing, photographing, evaluating and describing the item.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Flamechicken View Post
    If I bid on an item and then, through my own research, I was able to determine that it wasn't what the auction house presented it as, I'd be on the phone to retract my bid or get my money back in a split second. If I deserve to get banned based on those circumstances, then I wouldn't want to deal with that company in the future.

Mike
    The problem with that is despite what most collectors think they are not always right about an item. One collector may be convinced an item is misdescribed yet the auction house may have just as compelling a case as to why the description is accurate. Who is to say one or the other is right?

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    The problem with that is despite what most collectors think they are not always right about an item. One collector may be convinced an item is misdescribed yet the auction house may have just as compelling a case as to why the description is accurate. Who is to say one or the other is right?
    I understand your point, but I was referring to irrefutable evidence (whatever type of evidence that may be.) I would never call out an auction house on a hunch or the mere possibility that their information was not correct.

Mike

Years ago I went to log into my GF account and couldn't. When I called them, I was told that I was banned for not paying for an item. When I asked the lady what item, I was told a jersey. I had never bid on any jerseys with them. At the time I didn't own any jerseys or have any interest in jerseys. I argued for a bit but was told I was banned. The only thing that I can think was that I had participated in some threads, on here, about some bogus football helmets that they had on an auction.

I have spent thousands with Heritage, Hunt, Mears, AMI, Mile High, and others. I have paid for any and every item that I have bid on. I haven't looked at a GF auction in years.

I received my rejection email in just minutes after telling her that I would think about it (providing my credit card number) and let her know.
    I had that first impression thing but thought maybe I was just being thin skinned. I guess in this case my first impression was correct.
    I appreciate everyone's input.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    I received my rejection email in just minutes after telling her that I would think about it (providing my credit card number) and let her know.
    I had that first impression thing but thought maybe I was just being thin skinned. I guess in this case my first impression was correct.
    I appreciate everyone's input.
    I don't get the big deal of giving them your credit card number over the phone? Are you afraid they're going to rip you off?

I guess I have a problem with saying the number over the phone and not knowing who may be listening. I don't know. I figure there is really no protection.
    Maybe I am just old fashioned.
    And to be honest I was put off by her even asking for it. Most companies have a place to do that on their websites. I have not given my credit card number out over the phone in over 20 years I bet.