Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Hunt Auction - 1994 1995 Barry Sanders game used jersey Reebok jersey with old apex tagging

Paul,

I'm always curious about the Wilson shirts since I want to get some but it's so hard to figure out from pictures if it's a really good retail jersey or a gamer and most appear to be retail shirts.... So far I have a total of zero!

Is the date code on a separate tag the default for all teams? I only collect Chicago Bears and have yet to see even a confirmed gamer to have the other flag tags... Was this practice of separate tags only done in the early 90's?

Any additional info would be very much appreciated.

Re: Hunt Auction - 1994 1995 Barry Sanders game used jersey Reebok jersey with old apex tagging

Quote Originally Posted by solarlottry View Post
    Hunt also was auctioning a Steve Young early-mid 90s home game jersey in their "late additions" sections, which was where the Sanders was located. I called them to ask for additional images and for a better description of the shirt.

After a somewhat convoluted conversation the HUNT representative finally came out and told me that she had no idea if the shirt was game worn or not. It was not easy to elicit that specific response though.

With Wilson NFL jerseys from 1990-1995 my theory is that if the date code is on the same flag tag as the size, as was the case with the Steve Young shirt, it is a retail shirt. I have examined hundreds of jerseys and every single one that had the two letter date code on the size tag was a retail shirt.

Other collectors may have a different opinion about my size and date code flag date theory and I am extremely interested in everyones opinion. If anyone has any jerseys that they believe are gamer worn and have the date code and size on the same flag tag, please post them and the reasons why you consider the shirt game worn. I have attached a number of images showing the difference.

Always buying 49er game worn items and ALL 1994 49er game worn jerseys. Paying a finders fee so please someone make a referral so they can get the finders fee already!!

Paul
    garciajones@yahoo.com
    You might be onto something. Here is a picture of a game worn Steve Young jersey. If my memory serves me correct it was from the 1994 or 1995 season. I took this picture from a Hall of Fame exhibit currently going on in Pittsburgh. Sorry for the flash, but it was dark inside. This picture may not be good enough to see another tag underneath the 44 size, but there doesn't seem to be one.

They have the 1997 Barry Sanders game used jersey there too!!! I would love to make the HOF an offer on the Sanders, do you think they would even consider anything?
    Attached Images Attached Images       

I have no idea why the images did not appear in my prior post but here they are:

Steve Young home jersey sold by LeLands in their June 2009 auction and listed as a 1993 playoff shirt with Young LOA on 49er letterhead. Note the single size (46) and date code (ES-1992) flag tag.

Steve Young 1993 home jersey from my collection with authentic team letter and "Bronco tape" on nameplate. Note the separate size (44) and date code (FO-1993) flag tags.

The last two images are:

Roger Craig 1990 away game worn jersey with numerous repairs and good game use. Note the size and the date code on separate tags.

Ronnie Lott Raiders jersey sold as game worn. Note the size and date code on same tag. Date code is ES which corresponds to the 1992 season. The Raiders switched from Wilson to Starter brand jerseys beginning with the 1992 season so it is improbable that Lott wore a Wilson jersey manufactured in 1992 when the team had switched to Starter. More probable would be that Lott wore a Wilson with date code of D, which means a 1991 manufacture date.

If anyone else has an opinion with regards to my theory that if the date code and size are on the same flag tag the shirt is retail, please let us know.

Always buying 49er game worn items and paying a finders fee.
    Paul
    garciajones@yahoo.com
    Attached Images Attached Images