Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Thumbs up What's with the NOB on this Reggie jersey?

Banned

Question Re: What's with the NOB on this Reggie jersey?

The jersey in the previous post is in the current MEARS auction. Stated as submitted by Reggie himself, the jersey being auctioned has a block letter NOB. The norm for Goodman Angels jerseys of this era is a vertically arched NOB. Even the photo of Jackson used in the lot visuals shows a different style NOB.

I'm not automatically calling the jersey out, but I'd sure feel better about it if I could see a photo of Reggie from the back with enough of the NOB visible to unequivocally verify the block-lettered NOB.

Anyone out there have a photo that provides the evidence?

Dave Miedema

Re: What's with the NOB on this Reggie jersey?

It may be from 1985 Spring Training.... Here is a jersey that I believe was worn by Wally Joyner during 1985 ST, a full year before he officially played in "the show." Other photos from this period would be helpful, to see how many other players may have had this type of NOB. I can imagine the equipment manager hastily throwing together a Jackson jersey for whatever reason (a change in size, jersey was stolen, etc.) and using the font in question.

On an interesting side note, Wally Joyner never wore that style of sleeve patch in an official MLB game, as the team changed patches for 1986.

Dave, you da man.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Banned

Thumbs up Re: What's with the NOB on this Reggie jersey?

Anthony:

I follow your line of reasoning, and I concede it COULD be possible...if Reggie had a jersey stolen at some point. On the other hand, Reggie was a veteran with several years on the team and a future HoFer...Joyner had yet to play in the majors. A minor league hopeful isn't going to get the same treatment as a 500HR Club slugger.

Given the player involved, I would personally hold off unless I saw a photo of Jackson himself wearing one of these.

Dave Miedema

I agree with you 100% Dave. My point is simply if someone wants to find Jackson wearing the jersey in question, a good place to start would be photos from 1985 spring training. Not sure if too many photos are out there, so good luck to anyone who may give it a try!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

That is certialy an odd Jackson jersey. I collect Angels jerseys from the 80s era and have a number of Goodman, Wilson and Rawlings. I have seen block lettering on on several Goodman Jerseys; however, these have been on jerseys that were issued to either non-roster invitees or players who were acquired in the off season. In preparation for ST, the Angels probably just did quick, local sewing for the NOBs. Generally, the club would use the previous season's jerseys for ST. Roster players or those called up late in the previous season would have these jerseys available. If you come across photos of '86 ST, you will see players wearing jerseys with the flag patch, which as mentioned in previous post, was used through '85. Considering Jackson's player status and the fact he had been with the club for several years, he most likely had a number of his game jerseys at his disposal. These would have all had the vertical arch NOB.

Pitcher Gary Lucas was traded to the Angels in December of 1985 and he wore previous season jerseys (w/State flag) in '86 ST. I know his road had block letters ( I have it). This would be an example of how the club prepared a ST jersey for an off season acquisition.

I also have an '85 Al Holland Home (Wilson) and an '85 John Candelaria road (Goodman) jersey. Both these players, along with George Hendrick were acquired on August 28 of 1985. The Holland jersey has block letters, which is odd, because the club was certainly using the vertical arch NOBs. The Candelaria road jersey does has vertical arch NOB. Granted, one is Wilson and the other is Goodman, but in '85 and even '86, the club had vertical arch for both. Interestingly enough, I found a auction photo for Hendrick's '85 road jersey and it too had the vertical arch. I have also seen a '85 photo of Candelaria with his NOB in vertical arch on the home jersey. The Holland is an odd one, considering he wasn't with the club after the '85 season. Have not come across any game photos for him.

Another odd ball is the '86 Don Sutton home Wilson jersey that has block letters. I would be interested to see a game photo from '85 to see if his jersey had block letters. I believe he was acquired in September '85 and he made game appearances several times that month.

Nice collection, RJB....

I think these photos look promising on the Sutton.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Dave....is this Reggie jersey in MEARS? I just looked and couldn't find it. Did they pull it?

I couldn't help myself. I finally picked up that Wally Joyner pre-rookie 1985 spring training jersey from Ballpark Heroes. Ironically, it appears that the original number on the jersey was #21, which Joyner would later wear with the Angels from 1986 spring training on. In addition, you can see the prior name on the jersey was J. Moreno, who wore the number 21 for the Angels in 1982 (the team used Jose's first initial on the back, because Angel Moreno was also on the Angels in '82). The original name was in the conventional arched-letter style.

I have not received the jersey yet, but it seems to be a solid one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Here's a Jackson with the correct arch, I believe!
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com