Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hybrid View

Re: Washing a game used jersey

The whole point of the game used hobby is use u clown! and u wash it away?

Don't equipment mgrs 'wash away the use' after each game?

If you have a jersey that has a stain and you have it photomatched I would not want to wash it.

Anyone could always fabreeze them I guess and see it that helps with any smells. I have some game used jerseys that have not been washed that don't smell at all. I have some that do, not overly ripe, but it is there if you put your nose close enough.
    I have hundreds of game used jerseys in a closet and you can open the door and will not notice any smells. Now my closet is cedar lines so I am sure that helps. And they are all in individual garment bags as well.

Now if anyone knows how to make batting gloves stop stinking I am all ears.

This seems to be the big problem with the whole "CSI" photomatching phenomena . Does washing a game worn jersey make it any less game worn? Does it really matter in photomatching if there is one or two marks on a jersey or ten to twelve marks?

Some of the really torn up jerseys look cool, but are these collectors the ones that want to have just one or two jerseys to frame and show off or a full collection of jerseys?

Call me old school, but I can usually find enough identifiers on a jersey to feel comfortable without needing 15 photomatches.

Hey Falcon. I tried to send you a message but not sure it made it to you. This is my first try to send a message to another user.

Quote Originally Posted by Palehose for Life View Post
    Falcon is Your eBay Handle Yoda2515?
    No it is not.

To the original question: has a jersey that was washed after being bought lost value, to me it has if it significantly removed signs of use. I agree with others who have said they wouldn't wash a jersey themselves. If it comes from the team having been washed, so be it. But to me as a collector I am not comfortable altering a game used jersey in any fashion. But there are probably extreme cases that might make me reconsider.

Quote Originally Posted by Jags Fan Dan View Post
    To the original question: has a jersey that was washed after being bought lost value, to me it has if it significantly removed signs of use. I agree with others who have said they wouldn't wash a jersey themselves. If it comes from the team having been washed, so be it. But to me as a collector I am not comfortable altering a game used jersey in any fashion.

+1

Not sure why this thread got so far off track, but can we keep this discussion somewhat civilized so that we can all learn from it? Getting all bent out of shape because someone has an opinion that's different than yours really doesn't contribute to the forums at all.

Quote Originally Posted by gkdannecker@yahoo.com View Post
    Remember dirty jerseys smell for a reason. Bacteria and mold from sweat and dirt turn jerseys. Mold can eat the jersey and can deteriorate the material. I think from a preservation point of view I would clean it. I think that is what museums do. George
    So back on topic - does anyone have documented cases proving out this theory?