Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Washing a game used jersey

I can only tell you I've never gone to a museum or HOF location that had grimy jerseys? If someone has then I guess case closed. I have yet to see a 80s or 90s jersey with grime, but I have seen the Nfl sell them with grime. I think it is a fad. Stains and grime attract moths and mold. I'm sure a number of us have shirts with holes in them. I couldn't imagine my holy grail with an artificial hole or unmovable black mold stain. Think of your jersey 20 or 30 years from now. Unless you remove the air and all the bacteria with it then you probably get mold etc. that is my view. I enjoy the discussion though and always open to others opinions. That is what makes the forum fun. George

One point about museum pieces is that they usually have impeccable authenticity that most would not question.
    Most of my jersey's don't have that.
    Many collectors use the stains as a reference for game used. Even though they realize that it can be faked.

Quote Originally Posted by Palehose for Life View Post
    Seriously Bud ????

Lawrence are You 4 Real when You say anybody can take a clean game used jersey grime it up with grass staines, blood, paint transfers & turn it into a multiple photo matched work of art like my attached 2011 Brian Urlacher?

If having this Jersey in my closet means I'm not a collector and a.......... I'll take that everyday of the week Chauncey !!!!!!

Thats All I Have Time 4 Since I Have 2 Go Wash this Jersey Now LMFAO !!!!!
    Horatio,

Nice jersey. But does it smell? Because if it smells, then it is a piece-of-shit Sherlock.

Frebrezze will get rid of the smell, Salinger.

I think this thread is about stink, not stains, Stanley.

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    One point about museum pieces is that they usually have impeccable authenticity that most would not question.
    Most of my jersey's don't have that.
    Many collectors use the stains as a reference for game used. Even though they realize that it can be faked.
    Not quite. There are many examples of Halls-of-fames having mis-identified junk.

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Not quite. There are many examples of Halls-of-fames having mis-identified junk.
    While that is true, I don't usually go into a museum and question everything on display. We choose to believe the museum displays are the real deal. It would be no fun and pointless to go therwise.
    I wouldn't waste my time going to Cooperstown if I wasn't prepared to believe what I was seeing was real.
    The website Halls of Shame is a favorite of mine so I understand what you are saying.
    My original answer was in response to the suggestion that jerseys in museums are always washed. I don't think too many people would question what they are seeing in a museum like they would the jerseys in my closet.

Great Thread!! I have been reading long enough and had to throw in my two cents. I respect everyones opinion and here goes mine. I agree with a few of the new guys saying that the veterans of the bunch think they have an opinion of God and thats not the case. I will give my opinion and listen to anyones responses. I would never wash a game used jersey personally, I do have a couple game issued Cubs jerseys that I wear and only bought them because they were cheaper than buying an authentic at a retail store but were never used. Whatever state I get the jersey in is what it stays. I collect also because I have a passion for the games mainly football and baseball, I played the game and know the feeling of giving 100%, so when i get something with the blood,sweat, and tears of 100% I think that is more meaningful and why wash it away. The passion and heart from the game is shown with hit marks, stains, cuts. Not team repairs or a wash tag that shows heart and passion of the equipment manager. Ill try to make this as entertaining as possible.

So we have a few different reasonings for washing jerseys first Ill start with the "germophobs/bacteria buffs" of the bunch. Im mind boggled by the generation of folks here, just think 20 yrs ago did you use hand sanitizer after everything. I mean come on are you serious were grown men and some young men. I remember reading a couple post about those who like to handle dirty mens laundry,germ comment, etc. Ill go a couple different routes, do you have kids/siblings anyone younger than you? Have you changed any diapers? Washed your kids clothes? Have you ever played a sport or did anything with passion besides type on a computer or read? Have you ever tackled a running back, rub bodies playing basketball, made a diving play in baseball, heaven for bid if we have any wrestlers here? Its sweat!! Some grown man isnt urinating or dropping feces all over you, lets grow up. Ill have more on this topic later!

Do you collect anything else? Game used pants? Ive seen alot of unwashed baseball pants that equals a bunch of ball sweat!! I personally dont collect pants but if I get a full uniform then so be it. Well my as well get to the urination part, do any of you own a Moises Alou bat? Chances are there is traces of urine germs on the handle. Moises and many other big league hitters admit to urinating of their hands to strenthen the skin. Do you collect anything else? What about cleats/spikes? Do you wash and dry those? Do you scrub the dirt off the bottom? If you dont why not? Do you like sweaty man feet? When you pick up shoes where do you grab them? O yeah by part where the ankle sweats and if you have long enough thumbs you are touching the sole, thats gross!! What about receiver/batting gloves? Do you know how much spit/dirt is left inside and outside of those? Better wash them!!! Right before Derek Jeter put his hands in those nice Jumpman batting gloves you have maybe his balls itched or before pre game he dropped a major duece and didnt wash his hands. What about baseball bats? How many germs are on the handles or leftover in pine tar, better wash those and the ballmarks off the bat since ball to bat could leave a germ/bacteria trace? What about game used footballs and baseballs? They touch the ground, everyones hands from the maker in wherever, to the refs/umpires, players, ball guys, the guy that catches extra points/ball boys, the authenticators, o and then you. Better wash those game balls with germ wipes!! What about football helmets, imagine the dirt and bacteria in the crevices of the helmet pads. A full season of sweat!! EEEWWW!! Enough with the germs, I read on another thread of giving the most sensitive of the year award to a new member, cant remeber his name but I give the sensative award to all the EEEWWWYY collectors and maybe next year we can give them the Comeback Grown Up Collector Of The Year Award!!!

Another reason to wash is mold/mildew!! Can someone please post the consumer studies on mold/mildew growing on a game used jersey that is displayed in the open, in a frame, in someones display room/man cave? Mold/mildew grow in damp or high moisture areas with a warm climate present. You can wash your jersey right now with a whole jug of tide and place in a baggie,into a warm area, without drying, and watch the mold grow!!! I would love to see a picture of the oldest jersey here that someone has unwashed and displayed, should looked like it would washed but with stains. Once the jersey airs out and is dry everything is good. Yeah if you go to the jersey off our backs game and place the jersey in a baggie right after receiving its going to get pretty bad. I have 08 Cowboys unwashed jerseys that sat in Steiners warehouse for 2 years, they look exactly like a washed one would from 08 except with the stains, hit marks, etc.

Last but not least the odor eaters, here is what I believe to be the closest reason to washing. There is so many alternative ways to getting rid of odor though. Place the jersey in a baggie with 2 dryer sheets under each arm for a couple days then remove or the little freshners you can put in your shoes. Wash 2 t shirts and place over a jersey and inside the jersey, store in a baggie for a week or so. Im not a fan of spraying things on jerseys so I dont use any kind of sprays. Most jerseys after airing out for a week in a spare bedroom or the laundry room the smell goes away unless you are putting nose on jersey. I have one of the most fowl smelling jerseys and once aired out it was bearable but I put in a baggie with the dryer sheets under the arms and now the jersey has no fowl smell unless you are burying your nose in the jersey.

Thats all I have for now I just wanted to toss in an opinion from the other side of the fence!

Be Well!

WoW... Tell us how you really feel

SAMETS!!! LOL! Right on, well everyone has their opinion and if Im goin to share mine Im going to be honest. The new generation is just killing me and if this is some of the wiley veterans posting than Im just down right disappointed. Im 28 and been overseas in germ heaven. Ive seen soldiers burn feces in 5 gallon buckets or burn pits. Not showered for a week with only baby wipes to clean yourself, sleep while you are gushing sweat so this pidy padily stuff is just to much haha. Its like a little sweat and dirt is going to give you an life threatening virus.

Jerseys with grass, blood and whatever has been attached to it will still have those stains AFTER washing....Dont wash them, dont wear them and prove to me the last person wearing the shirt was the player....

To the original question: has a jersey that was washed after being bought lost value, to me it has if it significantly removed signs of use. I agree with others who have said they wouldn't wash a jersey themselves. If it comes from the team having been washed, so be it. But to me as a collector I am not comfortable altering a game used jersey in any fashion. But there are probably extreme cases that might make me reconsider.