Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Washing a game used jersey

If you wash a jersey is there a detergent that is best?
    I would assume a dye free and scent free detergent would be the best.

Any jersey I've ever washed was with Woolite.

Quote Originally Posted by slab0meat View Post
    Any jersey I've ever washed was with Woolite.
    Good idea

Banned

Lightbulb Re: Washing a game used jersey

I've used Wisk...no bleach or color-safe bleach...warm (not HOT) wash cycle and air dry cycle to avoid shrinkage.

Dave Miedema

I have never washed one. So if I ever do this has been very helpful. Thanks

I use baby detergent since it has the strictest and probably least harmful chemicals. However I agree I have woo lite works well.

I have washed many jerseys over the years and always in cold water (various detergents). I have never put them in the dryer. I have always let them hang-dry on either a wooden hanger or a wide hanger in a lighted room.

Durene football jerseys do fine in the washing machine. I have always let a professional clean wool baseball jerseys as I never felt comfortable putting them in the washing machine based on my experience many years ago of ruining my favorite wool sweater.

I am not endorsing any of these methods other than to say that it has always worked for me without ever damaging a jersey.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

I would never wash my jerseys. The only way I would is if something were to get on one by accident, but then I would spot clean it. I actually received a 1989 Clemson jersey today and the guy had washed it, you could smell the spring air when I opened the box. Was kind of disappointed.

I never really thought about the longterm effect of dirt, sweat and bacteria on the jersey fabric. That is a very good point if the game used jersey is a item you plan to keep forever.

It's funny how the thought of opening a parcel with a smelly dirty jersey inside (worn for sport use by, what in reality is a complete stranger) seems so appealing! Yet opening a school backpack containing my son's athletic gear, that has sat in a closet for the entire school vacation is enough to turn your stomach, lol! I guess that's why family and friends think we're strange, lol!

Banned

Through the years, I have had the opportunity to talk to trainers, equipment guys and persons responsible for laundering professional jerseys. Back in the day, whether it was football or baseball, it was a matter of pride to take a worn and/or dirty jersey and return it to like new condition. So for me, getting a vintage jersey that does not show a lot of wear means little to me and yes, I do wash any jersey that comes into my home.

With the modern day players, has anyone ever given it any thought as to why the equipment guys wear rubber gloves when handling game worn jerseys and/or equipment? To add to that, how about a sweaty, dirty jersey shipped or stored in a plastic bag? I can't imagine the bacteria that would grow and thrive inside a plastic bag.
    Jim