Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Washing a game used jersey

I have a chance to pick up a nice jersey that was from a nfl auction but the buyer washed the jersey because it was dirty. It is the real deal but now is it worth less because it is clean. Don't know what to do on this one.

Re: Washing a game used jersey

All depends who you ask. Some love the dirt, some don't. Your preference (or if you care at all) is what matters.

I think you have to look at it from two different presepectives:

Buy It if:
    You just want to have a legit jersey of the particular player and the fact that it was washed doesn't matter because you are buying at a good price.

Don't Buy it if:
    Being able to photomatch the jersey is important and seeing obvious signs of game use is a high priority.

I personally don't like to purchase things that have been altered from a previous buyer. Assuming that the use was once docemented (ie thru NFL Auctions as showing good wear).

It's really just personal preference I guess and knowing what you are buying is legit.

I just picked up my very first modern NFL gamer, here are my thoughts for what it's worth!

1) I used to stay away from modern jerseys because the replicas were so similar. Now, the actual jerseys are so much different from replicas that it's almost like the old days, there's nothing out there retail even close to what they wear with maybe the exception of quarterbacks.

2) The jersey smells, I'm not sure if that will ever go away.

3) It puts to rest any possibility of someone who sees legitimate playing time having a team-issued or game-issued jersey passed on to the hobby as a "gamer." These things get so beat up that it would be impossible in my opinion to claim "light use". You can see why they wear a different jersey every game, they are only made to last one game or maybe two at most.

So, bottom line for me is if it's a legit gamer even if it's been washed the value is still there. I might have even appreciated my jersey being washed before being shipped to me, though I'm not going to alter it now that I have it.

I'm not sure though that I will be buying many more of these!

I bought a 2009 Cowboys vs Packers Terence Newman game used jersey from Steiner a few years ago. It was my first game used jersey. Having been worn on grass and Newman recording 8 tackles, the jersey was filthy and stunk of sweat and damp when it arrived and I opened the box. So as a true rookie of game used collecting, what did I do of course.... I WASHED IT!!

Fast forward about 4 years, this act of insanity is one of the biggest regrets of my life. I have learnt so much about game used gear since then and it pains me to think that it could have been so stupid. The jersey really was one of those rare "shirt off someone's back" finds that we all crave. Oh if I could only turn back the clock on that. He is one of my favorite players too and I had the jersey exactly as it was when Newman took it off and I washed it!! The thought of opening that box now, knowing what I know now would be amazing!!

Do I still have the jersey? Hell no! When I figured out this whole game used deal I couldn't bare to look at it so sold it asap! I have other game used jerseys have been laundered prior to me owning them. I am fine with this as they were laundered by the team. (Cowboys game jerseys laundered by the team have a particular smell to them).

Not sure how I would feel about a jersey I knew left the teams hands dirty and then a collector took it upon themselves to launder it. That would affect the buzz of owning it to a degree, for me personally. But if you can photomatch the game wear and damage on the jersey and it's a good price then it will still be nice to have, right? It's still game worn.

Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    I have a chance to pick up a nice jersey that was from a nfl auction but the buyer washed the jersey because it was dirty. It is the real deal but now is it worth less because it is clean. Don't know what to do on this one.
    Is it that 9/11/11 John Abraham jersey on eBay?

I'm OK with team washed but not with home washed.

I own a pretty beat up and dirty as hell Bears jersey and do wonder what will happen to it in a few years with all of the dirt on it...

Here's just the name plate that shows some of Soldier Fields best dirt:

I got an Anthony Spencer 2010 awhile ago, with several repairs, grass stains, maybe a small rip, I forget exactly. And it smelled. Let it hang in a mostly unused room in the house for awhile, didn't get any better... tried a little Febreze, didn't work. Finally just decided to wash it, as I don't have a separate place to put smelly jerseys, and I didn't want it mixed in with the others smelling quite that bad.

After washing, the smell was gone, and all the marks and stains were still there. Was a win-win, though some may disagree.

Remember dirty jerseys smell for a reason. Bacteria and mold from sweat and dirt turn jerseys. Mold can eat the jersey and can deteriorate the material. I think from a preservation point of view I would clean it. I think that is what museums do. George

Smile Re: Washing a game used jersey

I've commented in past threads on this subject but will chime in again. First, each to their own. There is no right or wrong, it's simply a matter of personal preference. If you like all of the dirt, grime, and sweat, good for you. On the other hand, if a smelly jersey is more than you (or your spouse, family, pets, etc.) can stand or is simply not appealing to you, then wash it. Based on my experiences as both a dealer and a collector, I can attest that some collectors might not want the jersey if you washed it, but there are other collectors who will gladly buy it.

My preference is to wash any jersey that is intended for my personal collection simply because I prefer not to smell a foul jersey or hang a dirty jersey in my sports room. More important, I have a bit of a germ phobia and the thought of MRSA and other bacteria lingering on the jersey is a bit frightening. However, I do not wash any jersey that I obtain strictly for the purpose to sell. Those are carefully stored (while wearing gloves, I might add) and placed in an area far from my nose.

I have won "Shirt-Off-My-Back" contests three times in the past 7 years (two Nationals and one Minor League), and I cannot begin to tell you how unpleasant it can be having a still wet, sweaty, stinking, dirty jersey handed to you. I went straight home each time and washed the jersey (and my hands, of course). By the way, for those who might be curious, when I won this past season, the MLB Authenticator was waiting for me as I walked off the field to put the holgram on the jersey. And if you are wondering how I've won three times, just plain blind luck. (I also was selected at a Minor League game many years ago to go on the field and scoop up as many $1 bills as I could in 90 seconds using only one hand. I scooped up over $700.)

I collect mostly older jerseys (20th century) and they were all washed by the team before leaving the locker room, so the current trend of unwashed jerseys bears no special interest to me or others with similar collecting tastes. For those who collect older stuff, unwashed jerseys are never an issue unless you were the lucky kid (not me) who Mean Joe Greene tossed his jersey to in exchange for a Coke

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net